Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar

Damaged gelcoat question

I had a 5 lb bass pinned against the back post on a shore station. I went to get her loose when surf boat waves rolled in and pushed me into an unprotected jetski shore station post. It is high on the front of the boat above the water line. I'd like to wait to get it fixed until this winter. Is there something I can put over it to make sure it doesn't have a chance to get any moisture there? Do I need to worry or just be sad?

2. Member
    I was told not to worry about it. I got a couple gouges from a steel corner on a boat slip I was sitting in. Hate to even look at it. It won't be cheap to fix. At least what I was quoted.
    2017 Phoenix 819, Mercury 200 Pro XS, 80 Ultrex w/ iPilot Link, Helix 10SI console, Helix 10 DI bow

3. Member
    From the pics, it doesn't look like it has penetrated anywhere into the pink glass. Looks just like gel coat damage, and water should not get in. I would just be sad

If you are really worried, you could buy a gel coat repair kit, and mix up some clear gel and fill it in until a pro can fix it properly for you over winter. Evercoat makes a repair kit.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Dab it with some resin

5. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Thanks All!

6. Member
    if you know where your getting it fixed at this winter drive by and ask them,you dont want to put something over it that a gel man is going to need to dig out and clean up,it looks like its not into the fiberglass yet

If it’s not being fixed properly leave it as is. Whoever fixes it will have to grind it out....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

8. Member
    Did you happen to get the wake boats numbers? Don’t know what the laws are there but here you are responsible for damage caused by your wake.

'91 Skeeter 200SX Yamaha 200.
    It's hard to stumble when you're on your knees.

9. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    No I was just inside a small cove and timing wasn't on my side. I just wish I would have seen the exposed post.

10. Member
    I had similar issue last year. Had professional take care of it...was around 500 bucks or so.

11. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I'm hoping the same, with it hitting 3 different colors intersecting I think $500 would make me happy. We have an excellent glass man North of Omaha in Bennington. So that is a plus.

12. Member
    Not what you want to hear from a lake house owner myself with 2 shore stations and a dock. but you got what you deserve fishing that close to shore stations and or docks. Only because I find hooks and lures snagged on mine all the time.
    2015 189 trx

13. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    While I'm not going to agree "I got what I deserved" but I should have been more careful. Trust me I like my boat every bit as much you like your dock!! Normally the plan is to leave both the dock and the boat in the same condition I found them! The steel pole is undamaged BTW. Perhaps the silver lining we were looking for??

On a side note the gelcoat guy said if it is above the water line probably no issue to wait but I could cover it with a piece of clear shipping tape.

14. Banned
    You can also use clear nail polish to seal it up in the meantime.