Thread: Knots?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Knots?

So I've tied the standard palomar knot since I learned to fish and I tie it on all types of line. I just bought my wife a high end combo (Aldebaran MGL and NRX) and figured I'd spool it up with some Tatsu fluorocarbon. After doing some research I figured I'd try the San Diego Jam Knot because it seemed very popular. I found a diagram and tied it beautifully to a jig, I mean it looked perfect, gave it a decent tug and SNAP. So I retied using my good ol palomar gave her a tug and she still held. Growing up my buddies used cinch knots and again I could tie them and they'd look perfect but would break all the time so I gave up on any knot besides the palomar. Question is what is y'alls go to knot for line to bait particularly fluorocarbon?

2. Member
    trilene Knot
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

3. Member
    Palomar...

Seriously, what's wrong with the Palomar you know how to tie well?
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Palomar...

Seriously, what's wrong with the Palomar you know how to tie well?
    Just thought I'd test new waters so to speak. There's so many knots out there and everyone has their favorite, I was just surprised about praise the San Diego Jam Knot gets yet one tug and I snapped it.

5. Member
    three tag end for fluro look up on youtube

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Just thought I'd test new waters so to speak. There's so many knots out there and everyone has their favorite, I was just surprised about praise the San Diego Jam Knot gets yet one tug and I snapped it.
    Like you, the only time I have knots fail is when I try new stuff. Palomars never fail for me so I've learned to just use them for everything but mono to topwater. Then I use a non-slip mono loop knot but i'm very proficient with that as well since I use it exclusively when I throw flies at redfish.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

7. Member
    I tie a palomar most of the time with fluorocarbon. If it’s a treble hooked bait, I’ll use an improved clinch knot just so I don’t have to fight with getting the trebles through the loop on the palomar. I also tie a snell knot when flipping with fluorocarbon and a straight shank. All hold fine for me so far.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Palomar...Seriously, what's wrong with the Palomar you know how to tie well?
    Exactly

9. Dogfish_Jones
    Trilene knot for me, I'll even for sake of speed use the improved cinch knot. The only time I use the Palomar knot is on jigs.

10. Member
    Fish-N-Fool knot stronger than palomar waste less line.

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’d like to see how to tie a knot that’s stronger than the palomar and easier...it’s by far the easiest knot to tie imo. I used the improved clinch knot until I started fishing braid and now the palomar is my go to knot 99% of the time. I’ll google that knot
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    So it’s a Uni Knot that goes through the eye of the hook twice...I’ll try it!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

13. Member
    fishnfool vs palomar at 6:10 of the video
    Ive done many "basic tests" scale/pull til knots break on many different lines and the FnF always holds stronger than the palomar

14. Member
    Something was wrong with your San Diego Jam knot.

It is a very good knot and easy to tie. Try it a few more times. Wet the knot before cinching.

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I found a few charts that show the fishnfool knot is incredibly strong on mono and braid but performs very poorly on flouro...I have zero idea why but that’s what I’ve found.

Thanks for showing me a new knot!

16. Member
    I've been using G-man 3 tag knot. I think Swindle and Grigsby both have videos on it. It seems to me to be an incredibly strong knot that is easy to tie and forgiving. I think it's called a double pitzen. It wastes a bit of line, but man is it strong. I'm using it on fluoro and copolymer mainly but have used it on braid as well when a palomar is tough like on a plopper. The only downfall I see with it is the tags all face forward and it will catch grass and weeds a bit more than a Palomar
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

Improved clinch knot is all I tie for fluorocarbon

I'd been using the Palomar knot for probably 25 or 30 years, so when I first tried Fluorocarbon, I used it. First brand of FC, it worked. Second brand, it worked. Third brand, it slipped the knot two hooksets in a row, so I changed to the Improved Clinch and caught the next biter.

I would like to see Fishin' Fool tying his knot to a 1/0 Gamakatsu Dropshot hook. I think he'd be bleeding, but I know I would be!

For me, Trilene on braid, Palomar on drop shot, all else Improved Clinch. On the Trilene though, I carry the tag thru the long gap at the end just like ending the Improved Clinch. It adds one more 90degree bind to help keep slick braid from slipping.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 09-24-2018 at 12:00 PM.

20. Joe4d
    anytime you tie a wrap knot like that Sand diego or cinch, you have to spit on the knot before you tighten to cool and lubricate it so it doesnt melt and or kink and make weak spots. Also tighten by pulling the tag end you are gonna cut off and throw away, not the running end you are gonna keep, pulling line through tightening wraps puts little wrinkles in it, and thats where it's gonna snap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast