Trim issue optimax

0T469064
    I store my boat in the garage with motor trimmed down
    A week ago I pulled out of the garage and when I trimmed it up there was hesitation maybe 2 or 3 seconds, motor was running but sounded like a higher rpm, kinda like prop slippage before a prop stops venting and then it worked normally. Worked fine the next day as well

This week the same thing but required a little longer time to start ram movement. Has set trimmed down several day for this to occur
    Fluid is full and still looks like new, clear and clean
    Strikers recently replaced and lubed. I faithfully lube all pivot points and no signs of wear or loose fasteners
    Battery is fully charged and test good and is 900 cca grp 31

Motor stays where trimmed to for hours with no leak down
    Makes me think I may have a pump issue developing
    Any thoughts from the Merc techs...…. I do not want to put this off till it becomes a failure

Thank you Leon Pugh
    Thank You Leon Pugh

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check trim fluid- could be low, aerated, or high pressure in reservoir.

Make sure boat/trailer are level when checking fluid (engine must be full-up).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

my first thought is it's got some air in it..

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    my first thought is it's got some air in it..
    Mine also, but thought the system automatically bleed and there are no leaks. Not even a film at nay locations
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Check trim fluid- could be low, aerated, or high pressure in reservoir.

Make sure boat/trailer are level when checking fluid (engine must be full-up).
    Checked both, boat level and with jack in front fully lowered, trim all the way up with safty lock up as well, about 1 to 2 teaspoons of fluid came out before I could get the plug back in
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I'm just speculating here...
    Would think it was overfilled or it (has air)
    Hopefully someone will come along with something more..

Just for the record I had a 2000 model 225 Pro max that started doing that.. But it also was bleeding down a little when sitting at home. (about 2" in 24 hrs) It was during my tournament season so I crossed my fingers and hoped it would not go out until I had some down time. It quit doing that before I got a chance to fix it ..
    Figured it must have had a small piece of debris stuck in a valve.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Leon- Correct fluid level is just at the bottom of the threads in the fill port. Yours may simply have been overfull all this time and eventually ended up with over-pressure or aeration.

Adjust fluid level to proper level and see how it does.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor