Thread: 179 TRX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    You tube@ Rix Fishing Fix

179 TRX

I know there probably aren't a lot of owners of this model but if there are a few and I could get a little feed back on this rig? Likes and dis likes ride and fish-ability? I have a tin boat now but am thinking of going to a mid size glass boat and this model has a good lay out. Any input or info appreciated.
    TYG-(Trust Your Gut!!)

2. Member
    I have it and came from a tin too but have plenty of experience fishing 18-21' Rangers. I bought this model for a couple main reasons - it fit in my garage and had the fit and finish that was better than the Nitro models and the ride/fishability of glass. The 115 Pro-XS CT is a great motor, sips fuel, super quiet and torquey. I'm still trying to prop it so it gets on pad quicker - if the boat was rated for more HP I would have added it. I couldn't justify the small change on the 189 TRX. It'll do almost 54 on GPS WOT so I have no problems with speed - I don't cruise very fast so no biggie.. Hydraulic steering is worth it's weight in gold and trim on wheel, just wish the wheel was a tilt wheel. I also opted for a Hot-Foot as I was really used to fishing water that when it got rough, required two hands on the wheel (using trim) and hot foot - day savers in rollers.

Storage is great - don't have them add the rod tubes as it is way better without, (more/longer). Tons of storage and the live wells are HUGE but do impact getting on pad. I opted for the second console as well and it's a breeze to swap. The dash console should be blanked out and a mount that raises the plotter or moves it to a RAM is ideal. I also upgraded to an Ultrex with iPilot Link (80lb - 45" shaft) and the Spot Lock feature totally rocks.

The boat is a great boat for the price - compared to a Nitro it's much nicer. Seats are great, ride is smooth and dry, not much hull slap from waves, stable with multiple people. Great engine but could use a couple more HP, I'm super content as gas lasts me forever compared to buddies... Backup lights were pretty miserable so I upgraded to LEDs and added Blue Water LEDs to my deck for night fishing.

Just ask away and I'm happy to tell you what I know of mine.
    2017 Triton TRX 179
    Mercury 115 Pro XS CT (Hyrdraulic Steering/Hot Foot and Trim on Steer)
    Minn-Kota Ultrex 80 w/I-Pilot Link
    Lowrance HDS9 Carbon Bow/Console with Structure Scan 3D (Thru Hull, Structure Scan xdcr, HDI on TM) and Point-1,
    Blue Water LED boat lighting

3. Member
    I picked mine up in June. Mine is a 2017 single console and has a 2017 115 ProXs 2 stroke. I have a 21 laser II on it and with two guys, full tank of gas and gear it gets onto plane fine and runs right at 49 mph gps at 5750 rpm. Redline for my motor is 5850.

The boat fishes great, rides smooth and fits what I need at the moment. The only thing I would change if doing over is go with minn kota on the front instead of motor guide. I bought this boat with the mindset of keeping it for two years and then moving back up to something with more HP but this boat has impressed me enough I may keep it longer. Plenty of storage and it gets a lot of compliments at the dock and gas pumps.

Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    It is also back of the boat fisher approved.

Last edited by DaveTTN; 09-16-2018 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Double post

It’s the same layout as my TR186 that I have had for 5 years and it was a nice upgrade from my Bass Tracker. That said, it is starting to feel a little small but so is my garage so i’ll be staying in it for a while. They say the 179 is lighter I think but I would be concerned about having a 115 on an 18.5’ boat. And worth noting that when I cruise at 50 mph with a 150 I might be using less fuel than the 115 does at WOT to achieve the same speed. About the only negative I have on my boat is the center storage in the front deck. It is open all the way forward and if something slides all the way up I can’t reach it. But that’s about it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    The center console storage on the 179 TRX is long too - I have a bag with odd stuff stuffed up there and all my tackle bins are vertical and fill up the front fully.
    2017 Triton TRX 179
    Lowrance HDS9 Carbon Bow/Console with Structure Scan 3D (Thru Hull, Structure Scan xdcr, HDI on TM) and Point-1,

7. You tube@ Rix Fishing Fix
    Wow thanks guys your answering all my questions. I really like the layout and I am not a speed guy. So I am starting to think this may be my next rig. I appreciate the info. It is a pretty light boat only weighs about 180 pounds more than my current tin rig so it should be pretty easy to tow as well. I have been looking at boats for so long..... not sure if I wanted another tin boat or not.... have had glass in the past.... this may just help me with my decision.
    TYG-(Trust Your Gut!!)

8. Member
    I was in the exact same position and had debated saving some $$ and going tin but in the end I wouldn't choose differently. I think if I had time to spare and felt that I could get one ordered and in my hands in time I would custom order it next time. Mine had most things but others I added (compartment lights on mercury switches and deck lighting) and bright LED backups that light up the whole ramp at waist level. The engine (115 Merc Pro-XS 4S CT) just purrs though, consider your gauges (no Merc SmartGauge by default). Seats are really comfortable and the windscreen actually blows just above your head if you are about 5'10" - 6'. Cooler has a weird slant on each side (to match the hull I presume) so drinks are on angles and the cooler is kind of awkward. The front shelf is very nice as I put my sandos, chips, food up there and it stays cool too (also dry). The cooler has a plug that seals the bottom from draining into the bilge when using it.

Never needed auto bilge pump but nice to know it has it. Livewells are huge. Boat feels huge with one console, second console makes it feel tight but more secure. Cleats are killer - pop up/down. Wish I got the remote drain plug, but I never forget. Get the extras for a trailer like retractable ties..
    2017 Triton TRX 179

9. Member
    I recently sold my Champion and then ran into a deal on a 179 I couldn't pass up. I thought I'd run the Triton for a bit and turn it but as it turns out I like it as well as my Rangers or Champs.
    It fits my boat slip and lift and rides good and dry. It will run about 50 which is slower than I'm used to but I've gotten used to it..
    Really a well made boat. My next one will be another Triton.

10. Member
    I have had 2 Rangers and a Whaler and in July bought a 179. Only had it out 2 times but I love it. Great layout, easy to fish, and most important it is easy for me to unload/load alone. 115 Evinrude that runs quiet and gets on plane quickly. All in all I think this boat fits how I fish better than the bigger, faster, Rangers. And it was a great deal from 72 marine, my nearest Triton dealer. Don't think you would go wrong with this outfit.

11. Member
    I sell a lot of 179TRX's with the Mercury 115CT engine and have never had a complaint. The 179TRX hull is a proven running surface and fishes and runs nice. It will run between 48-50mph.

12. Member
    Saw 51 mph gps in mine yesterday with just me, light load and 1/2 tank of gas.

13. Member
    Don’t mean to hijack the thread but I have a question about the width on the trailer. Jaymaharg, you mentioned going with the 179 since it fit in your garage. Just wondering of it was due to width. My garage door is 8’ so most fiberglass boats are too wide on the trailer. Will this one fit? What’s the width on the trailer? If it does I know it’ll be tight so that will be something I’ll need to deal with.

14. Member
    99” on mine outside wheel to wheel

15. You tube@ Rix Fishing Fix
    Well guys I'm going with the 179. Going to pick it up hopefully Sunday if not then Monday! Pretty excited!
    TYG-(Trust Your Gut!!)

16. Member
    Awesome! Let us know how it goes and pics!

17. Member
    Congrats rixfishin! Thanks for the info Dave, sure wish it was narrower.

18. Member
    Yep - mine is a dual car but shallow so the boat sits sideways, even with the swingaway tongue and motor down.

Congrats on the 179 rixfishin - had mine out on Sat with my mutt and had a blast fishing.
    2017 Triton TRX 179

19. You tube@ Rix Fishing Fix
    Picking up Sunday morning thanks to a very co-operative dealer who is meeting me LOL!! Will post pics after I get it home.
    TYG-(Trust Your Gut!!)

20. Member
    picked up a 179 in 2016.....comfortable ride...ez to fish out of....the only thing i don't care for, is if your using your "bike seat," the seat mount is too close to the trolling motor pedal.....maybe they've addressed that since 16....anyway, i think you'll like it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast