Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lip on XB21 Boats

I have been following and many discussions both in public and private about the lips on the pad of XB21 boats. It is amazing to me how little information Darris has put out there so far about the optimum height of the lip. Some guys have a lot of lip 0.125" down to about no lip. Some guys have sanded the lip off to achieve better speed or bow rise on deceleration, and some want more lip to handle hole shot better. I thought a healthy discussion with some of your pros and cons on what lip height you have might help some newcomers figure out this "lip question". The lip on my 2018 boat is right at 0.078". To me that gives me a good, all around hole shot, not much nose dive when I let out of it at WOT, and it handles turns fine. Speed? I think it slows me down from what I'd have if there were no lip, but I'm interested more in several things that my boat can provide me and not just speed. Also, what method are you guys using to measure your lip? I used a level and a spacer. When I had the pad perfectly horizontal via the level, I put the level across the lip from back of boat towards the front and leveled the bubble. Then I took spacers and filled in the gap till I had 2 points of solid footing on the level. It was pretty simple to then measure the spacer. There are probably better or easier ways but it worked for me.

The good ole lip debate rages one................lol This debate has been going on with all of the Allison models. Seems like some swear by the lip and other swear that no lip is better. I remember hearing the lip is to carry the back of the boat so it runs better with lower HP. If you go above the recommended power to lessen or remove the lip..........................Next................. ....

3. Member
    The “old lip debate” obviously hasn’t been settled too well or people wouldn’t be trying to figure out how to address boat handling issues. I was hoping a bit of discussion would be productive to the owners with handling issues.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be a smart ass...…. Just seen this debated a lot with the other models.

5. Member
    I feel proper weight distribution and motor height play a bigger role. I have recently driven Geoff’s prosport which seems to have a more pronounced center 1” portion of lip and mine which seems to be more moderate.. both boats drove and handled similar.

6. Member
    "I felt Johnny's and Woody's lips and mine does not feel as big" for some reason that just doesn't sound like something that should be said out loud.

Johnny Johnson

It would be interesting to be able to compare like boats... with the same measuring method.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    It would be interesting to be able to compare like boats... with the same measuring method.
    Take an average of 10 measurements right? Lol
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

Was told years ago..
    To place a 12" square at the transom---- long end on the hull pointing forward.
    Then with an assortment of drill bits find the one that fits the widest part of the gap...and thats your lip measurment..
    Don't know if thats the correct way but I figure most everyone could do that with the same accuracy..
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 09-17-2018 at 08:14 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Sorry, wasn't trying to be a smart ass...…. Just seen this debated a lot with the other models.
    No offense taken. Myself and several other Allison guys I hang with get asked regular why such and such is going on with the lip on their boats. The more we share the better off we all will be.

12. Member
    Using a 12 inch square and drill bits as mentioned above mine is .0765

Johnny Johnson

13. Member
    I’ve seen them as high as 0.128” and that was almost twice the height of mine with the same hull. The 2 boats were exact opposites on handling too. One (mine) was a dream and the other was a beast if you chopped the throttle. Hole shot was better with the taller lip. That is where the advantages stopped. I know another boat that has almost zero lip and it runs awesome.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    I’ve seen them as high as 0.128” and that was almost twice the height of mine with the same hull. The 2 boats were exact opposites on handling too. One (mine) was a dream and the other was a beast if you chopped the throttle. Hole shot was better with the taller lip. That is where the advantages stopped. I know another boat that has almost zero lip and it runs awesome.
    It does make one wonder why the big differences in these lip heights, assuming that is how they came from the factory and have not been worked. I have an XB2003 that I have reduced the lip height. I believe from my experiences that the lip height plays the biggest role at top end speeds. A person must not forget that .060" is only about 1/16". I think there are many factors other than a 1/16" difference in lip height that affect the handling and overall results achieved with these boats. On my boat with quite a bit of horsepower and with a .090" lip, the nose at higher speeds would want to start dropping. I know some would say when that happens, just bump the trim again and it will come back up. I know at least on the XB2003's that if you bump the trim and you do not get a reaction of more bow lift, it is really smart not to do it again. The boat is trying to tell you something.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    It does make one wonder why the big differences in these lip heights, assuming that is how they came from the factory and have not been worked. I have an XB2003 that I have reduced the lip height. I believe from my experiences that the lip height plays the biggest role at top end speeds. A person must not forget that .060" is only about 1/16". I think there are many factors other than a 1/16" difference in lip height that affect the handling and overall results achieved with these boats. On my boat with quite a bit of horsepower and with a .090" lip, the nose at higher speeds would want to start dropping. I know some would say when that happens, just bump the trim again and it will come back up. I know at least on the XB2003's that if you bump the trim and you do not get a reaction of more bow lift, it is really smart not to do it again. The boat is trying to tell you something.
    Exactly the same thing on a XB21 Catfish. At high speed with a taller lip you let out of it and the nose will drop bigtime and when them chines dig in, HOLD on!

16. Member
    Johnny I'd be more interested in seeing if the lip is different between the pro sport, 2+2, and pro. I'd think the pro sport would require the least lip due to the big single forward console while the pro would require the most with the smaller consoles moved aft.

Johnny Johnson

I guess I need more drill bits.
    .078 is a smidge to big-----.062 is a smidge to small.. Must be about .070

18. Member
    LOL. Just use a feeler gauge in place of drill bits if you want to know exactly. However, I'm of the opinion a few thousands will not make much difference with the exception of racing hulls. I do believe the lip on Allison XB21 is necessary. How much? Jury is still out and will remain out due to different applications. Meaning, (fishing load, more or less horsepower, different setups). Sorta like changing props, each one has its on application. Its obvious Darris knows exactly what Allison racing boats needs because they're racing boats. Its a science when you know all factors. Those of us that own XB21's can only apply theory of the lip and load and prop accordingly which maybe be totally opposite from our buddies XB21 and then we expect the same result......... NOT. These XB21's are not racing boats. They are well built bass boats that share the same technology of the best racing boats in the world. Thanks to Allison for building an awesome fishing boat that goes fast. Only bad part about owning an Allison is that it limits my fishing time because I LOVE TO DRIVE IT. See Ya, Gone fishing. Woody

19. Member
    Can someone please send or post a pic of the lip. I’m so confused! Thank you

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley21SS View Post
    Can someone please send or post a pic of the lip. I’m so confused! Thank you
    IMG_20180918_44521.jpg
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast