Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    I tried to photo but it didn’t photo well

2. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    Very interesting that when they blue printed the bottom, they apparently made your lip entirely different than the lip that comes from the molds from your description of it. I know a person who had their lip on an XB2003 totally redone at the factory and the boat was not driveable afterwards.
    I've seen dozen's of boats, all makes and models, that the owners claimed that no one could drive only to find out that the problem was a total lack of driver ability. Not that they didn't have set up problems that made them easier to drive after corrected, but they could be driven with no problem with the correct driver input.
    As you know, engine height is very important whenever the lip has been added or modified, height can make a huge difference in handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    I've seen dozen's of boats, all makes and models, that the owners claimed that no one could drive only to find out that the problem was a total lack of driver ability. Not that they didn't have set up problems that made them easier to drive after corrected, but they could be driven with no problem with the correct driver input.
    As you know, engine height is very important whenever the lip has been added or modified, height can make a huge difference in handling.
    That's my boat he's talking about. They fixed it though and it drives great now! I was pretty disappointed but Darris made it right the 2nd time.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I measured the lip on my 2013 after Darris did the mods to it and mine is.090. I have no idea what it was before that. And I am no expert so I may not be 100% accurate but it is close enough to that.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    When I received my XB-21 ProSport, I shot a laser across the boat/engine after I leveled it and to me, the center 4 1/2” to 5” protruded down quite a bit compared to outside that area.
    I dropped the nose of my 2+2 at a little over 90mph which got my attention. I wanted to level out the lip of the ProSport just in the center of the pad but not touch the outer edges to see if it would decrease the tendency to drop the nose but I was chicken to sand on a brand new boat.

6. Member
    here is scj's pic

Steve, I'm not sure what you are showing here though in this pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

The laser line is touching the pad on the outside on each side. At the center you can see how much lower the center of the pad is. You could do the same thing with a long straight edge.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

I went out and did a similar test on mine. It looks the same. A laser line works well as the hull isn’t straight.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    The laser line is touching the pad on the outside on each side. At the center you can see how much lower the center of the pad is. You could do the same thing with a long straight edge.
    As far as I know, all these lips are higher in the middle and taper gradually towards the outer edges of the pad where there is no lip at all as you get pretty close to the edges. I believe that these "lips" were designed to improve efficiencies and speed when the recommended horsepower was used. When one installs significantly higher horsepower than what is recommended, the lips effect on the general attitude of the boat at speed is altered. Before anyone "jumps on me", I have been wrong before..............
    Last edited by catfish123; 10-11-2018 at 10:55 AM.

As far as I know, all these lips are higher in the middle and taper gradually towards the outer edges of the pad where there is no lip at all as you get pretty close to the edges. I believe that these "lips" were designed to improve efficiencies and speed when the recommended horsepower was used. When one installs significantly higher horsepower than what is recommended, the lips effect on the general attitude of the boat at speed is altered. Before anyone "jumps on me", I have been wrong before..............
    ^^^This sounds correct to me
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

11. Member

That’s the way my 2003 was. That’s why I was surprised to see no taper and all the way across

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    here is scj's pic

Steve, I'm not sure what you are showing here though in this pic.
    Thanks for posting Craig.
    The laser was setup on the rear of the port side of the boat so I could perfectly level the pad and engine.
    If you notice; you can see the green laser light touching the pad several inches in front of the lip and then behind the lip showing how much lower it is vs. the pad. Even though the pad is somewhat radiused, the lip extends from side to side on the pad. I wanted to remove the lip just where the laser was touching it and leave the rest there. I figure this would be just enough to help with the nose drop but not enough to destroy all of what it was originally intended for.

13. Member
    I wish I could remember what Darris told me 2 years ago when he did the mod to my boat according to how the new hulls are to be coming out of the mold from that point on with a reduced lip. Something about sanding on it somewhere if I needed a bit more water pressure. I just don't remember what he said and I'm not going to sand on something as important as the lip on my boat not knowing what the heck I'm doing.

Maybe Lee can shed some light on the subject?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

14. Member
    Wrap the sand paper around your finger and work right in the center of the lip to increase water pressure.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Wrap the sand paper around your finger and work right in the center of the lip to increase water pressure.

what grit sandpaper and wet or dry? Removing some of the pointed area as well as the lip itself?
    Take a pic up close and show exactly where you are referring to please...thanks!!
    Did he tell you the same thing?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    what grit sandpaper and wet or dry? Removing some of the pointed area as well as the lip itself?
    Take a pic up close and show exactly where you are referring to please...thanks!!
    Did he tell you the same thing?
    Thats what Darris told me the day I picked it up when he did the lip mod. My boat has adequate water pressure so I have never done it.

17. Member
    I'm going to try to find the time to take a shot at measuring the lip on mine. It handles really good so I don't see any reason to modify but my curiosity is kindled.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    I'm going to try to find the time to take a shot at measuring the lip on mine. It handles really good so I don't see any reason to modify but my curiosity is kindled.
    Joe if I were a better note taker I could tell you what the lip is on your boat. It was the first one I ever took the time to measure. I don't remember it being out of what I consider to be expected for the way it handles.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234