Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Just use a feeler gauge in place of drill bits
    Tried that -- it's old like me and I cant read the numbers.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atcje View Post
    Johnny I'd be more interested in seeing if the lip is different between the pro sport, 2+2, and pro. I'd think the pro sport would require the least lip due to the big single forward console while the pro would require the most with the smaller consoles moved aft.
    I honestly believe there is no set standard for what boat gets what lip. It’s so random from what I have seen. That’s why I felt it was a good time to discuss the lip. It might give any given boat owner an understanding of how he should adjust his boats lip to achieve the performance he wants. I’m not sure most people know the influence of the lip and thus they may have a rhino of a boat under some conditions that could easily be corrected. Less is better on lip height if one has to decide one way or the other. But to little and some hole shot benefits and turning could be sacrificed.

3. Member
    Wish Powell would drive my boat one of these days to tell me how it rides with my back yard blue print lip job lol
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

4. Member
    This is a interesting read. Has anyone with the XB21 removed the lip, curious to see how it handles compared to one with the lip. There was a lot of talk a few years back with guys sanding on their 03's but not sure if anyone worked the XB21?

5. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    So....why would the lip be different on each rig? The molds should be the same right?

6. Member
    I don't know much about the different models of the 21 footer other than the top cap differences. I would think the hull would be the same on the 3 models or is there a difference? I have read that the XTB is different.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    I don't know much about the different models of the 21 footer other than the top cap differences. I would think the hull would be the same on the 3 models or is there a difference? I have read that the XTB is different.
    The hulls on the XB21's are pretty much identical "except" the height of the lip. I think Darris plays or played with the lip to achieve various performance from the different models. I have been told there are 2 molds at the plant. Each mold has a different lip from one another. I know one boat that almost has no lip. It sure seems to run great. It has top end speed and handles well enough. Hole shot is good too. But the guy with that boat may have a lighter setup than many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    The hulls on the XB21's are pretty much identical "except" the height of the lip. I think Darris plays or played with the lip to achieve various performance from the different models. I have been told there are 2 molds at the plant. Each mold has a different lip from one another. I know one boat that almost has no lip. It sure seems to run great. It has top end speed and handles well enough. Hole shot is good too. But the guy with that boat may have a lighter setup than many others.
    So with that said would it be safe to assume that the lip helps the top end of a boat that is rigged heavy and one would run better if it was light loaded with no lip?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    So with that said would it be safe to assume that the lip helps the top end of a boat that is rigged heavy and one would run better if it was light loaded with no lip?
    I don't think that it may be quite that simple..............................If a boat is loaded heavily in the front, I personally can't see the lip helping that situation, possibly it may even make it worse? Just my early morning thoughts before I am totally awake...............

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    I also believe that the prop being run and motor height play a bigger part in overall performance than does a couple thousandths of an inch difference in lip height. So very many variables when considering all this.

Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    I also believe that the prop being run and motor height play a bigger part in overall performance than does a couple thousandths of an inch difference in lip height. So very many variables when considering all this.
    I agree completely!
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

12. Member
    I believe that the best compromise height is somewhere around 0.70". At that height on my boat (s) I have been able to move weight around and achieve good hole shot, good top end handling, and safe shutdowns if I have to let out of it quick. The biggest benefit from this post may well be that it gives a person an understanding of what the lip is, why it is on the boat, and how it affects any given boat under any given load. Then an owner can decide if he needs less lip or if he needs to get better educated about weight distribution in his boat. Unfortunately, as I said before, a lot of guys probably have the best boat they will ever own, and it is within a slight few thousands of an inch of being their ultimate boat under the conditions they want to use the boat for. As is, too many guys are resigned to some kind of a compromise that is not necessary with a little education and maybe some none-expensive trial and error.

13. Member
    I don't have an xb 21 but sometimes I wonder if
    the lip is what's giving me a hard time driving my xb2003 at 80+.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    I don't have an xb 21 but sometimes I wonder if
    the lip is what's giving me a hard time driving my xb2003 at 80+.
    Joe Lee would probably know the answer. Catfish probably can as well.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Joe Lee would probably know the answer. Catfish probably can as well.
    I am guessing setup if it’s only at 80+.

The boat can be out of balance with the motor way to high or too low and drive to 80 easily.

About 80 is where the boat climbs up onto the pad and your setup actually matters....

16. Member
    My XB2003 is generally on the pad at 60-65mph with most any prop. Some do get it on the pad at lower speeds than others.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    ahh I see thank you

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    My XB2003 is generally on the pad at 60-65mph with most any prop. Some do get it on the pad at lower speeds than others.

It’s not on the last step that slow I don’t believe, maybe, but I don’t think so. Either way

When a boat is balance and setup well they are a dream above 80 both my previous xb2003 and Xb21, once they hit 80 they lock in and require very little correction if any...

So my guess is his motor height, balance or prop is incorrect...
    Last edited by xb03fs; 09-20-2018 at 08:31 PM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    It’s not on the last step that slow I don’t believe, maybe, but I don’t think so. Either way

When a boat is balance and setup well they are a dream above 80 both my precious xb2003 and Xb21, once they hit 80 they lock in and require very little correction if any...

So my guess is his motor height, balance or prop is incorrect...
    80 is like nothing. 65-70.... that's another story lol
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

20. Member
    Ps other reason I don’t think it’s the lip.

Geoff’s prosport (he has 300) has a larger lip, 2 up with powerpoles I took it too 90 pretty much right away.

Mine has less lip and runs quite similar, maybe a little easier (I have 250 and I’ve never tried to run 90 2up. It may or may not?? 86/87 is all I’ve run with a passenger

Anyway. Lip is not the issue. Setup correctly they run

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast