Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Not happy with my new to me Triton

I swear this whole boat industry is just a scam. This time I buy from a dealer who everyone swears they love. 1st full day on the water with this thing and it won't start. Wife is pissed, I promised this would NOT happen again. We bought a boat once from an individual who had hidden some major engine problems. At least that boat made it a couple weeks. Not ONE day.

2. Member
    Does it crank but won't start? If so it could be a kill switch issue.
    Brad Krone

3. Joe4d
    10 yo boat ? Its gonna have issues, probably minor and probably dealer will fix. Coulda been somethig as simple as some corrosion or wire come loose from trailering. Things happen when boat sits.

4. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tlarcher View Post
    I swear this whole boat industry is just a scam. This time I buy from a dealer who everyone swears they love. 1st full day on the water with this thing and it won't start. Wife is pissed, I promised this would NOT happen again. We bought a boat once from an individual who had hidden some major engine problems. At least that boat made it a couple weeks. Not ONE day.
    what kind of hidden major engine issues did it have?

this boat could be a simple as a kill switch

5. Member
    Give the dealer a call Monday and keep us updated

6. Banned
    Impossible for a dealer to catch everything on a used boat.
    Hopefully it's something simple.
    What's it not doing?

7. Member
    Yes give dealer a chance to make it right. Like some said, could just have been a wire popped off or low voltage on battery.

8. Member
    Try posting on the Mercury forum

Do you get a test beep when you turn the key on?

Is the throttle in neutral?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    Everything mechanical will let you down occasionally. Usually it’s our fault from lack of preventive maintenance or preparation for the trip. I’ve owned my rig for 14 years, practice meticulous pm and It still takes a crap on me and ruins a trip sometimes. Sure not the boating industries fault .its mine, and sometimes sh## just happens. Hope you get it straighten out and catch a limit next time..

11. Member
    Give the dealer a chance to do something. Sounds like buyers remorse. It is a 10 year old boat for god sake.
    2015 189 trx

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    Give the dealer a chance to do something. Sounds like buyers remorse. It is a 10 year old boat for god sake.
    It's not buyers remorse at all. Love the boat part, hate the fact that day 1 I have problems after it being marketed as flawless. I service 10 year old cars that ARE flawless. My truck is almost 20 with 300k on it and I would drive it across country and back without hesitation. If our dealer where to sell a car in the price range I paid and had it towed in the next day we would be hearing about it.

13. Member
    Pal, sorry for your trouble. I have dealt with the Bunch folks for years and have no doubt that your issue will be dealt with fairly. Things fail on brand new boats, and cars/trucks as well. Get it fixed and go fish.

14. Banned
    It's not buyers remorse at all. Love the boat part, hate the fact that day 1 I have problems after it being marketed as flawless. I service 10 year old cars that ARE flawless. My truck is almost 20 with 300k on it and I would drive it across country and back without hesitation. If our dealer where to sell a car in the price range I paid and had it towed in the next day we would be hearing about it.
    You have been saying a 10 year old boat should be as dependable as a new/almost new one.... not going to happen.
    Are you willing to guarantee that the 10 year old flawless car you serviced, will absolutely not have any risk of a breakdown or failure?
    You may feel you can hop in a 20 year old truck and drive it across the country and have the dependability of a new truck. You would be wrong. There's a reason why most people upgrade cars/trucks/boats, and reliability is a huge part of that decision.

15. Banned
    Lots of complaints about a ten year old boat, but when questions were asked about what exactly went wrong so we might be able to offer advice, it's crickets.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jbh3 View Post
    Pal, sorry for your trouble. I have dealt with the Bunch folks for years and have no doubt that your issue will be dealt with fairly. Things fail on brand new boats, and cars/trucks as well. Get it fixed and go fish.
    I hope so. Just have a nervous wife who hopes we didn't dump a bunch of money into something we can't use. Just seems like the same problems Mercury has had since the 90s and still yet to fix it

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Lots of complaints about a ten year old boat, but when questions were asked about what exactly went wrong so we might be able to offer advice, it's crickets.
    So you are refusing to share what happened to your motor?

18. Member
    I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to know what problems you are referring to.? I've been running mercs for 20+ years and am happy as could be with mine. Sorry you had problems.
    Last edited by steve lacey; 09-16-2018 at 06:45 PM.

19. Banned
    I'll fill in some blanks:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=931595

First time out after bringing it home from the dealer, it would turn over but will not start.
    When he purchased it, he dealer had him out test running the boat for an hour on the water, at which time the motor ran perfectly.
    Now insists he's been scammed by the dealer.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    I'll fill in some blanks:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=931595

First time out after bringing it home from the dealer, it would turn over but will not start.
    When he purchased it, he dealer had him out test running the boat for an hour on the water, at which time the motor ran perfectly.
    Now insists he's been scammed by the dealer.
    Got it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast