Axle Replcement?

Hi Guys - I was headed to the lake this morning when I looked back and had a cloud of smoke behind me. I noticed the tire was rubbing the fender, and luckily I was only a mile from home so I limped home. I just removed the wheel and don’t see any signs of bearing failure, but I did notice I am able to rotate the arm that connects the axle and spindle. The bolt holding the arm on is tight and the gears are not stripped. Is there something else that could have failed which caused this or do I need a new axle altogether? Trailer is a 2013 dual axle with vault hub. Thanks in advanced!
    Last edited by kickerbass10; 09-16-2018 at 06:56 AM.

The good thing is that with Torsion axles you can run in an emergency on 3 wheels. Unfortunately there is nothing that can cause this issue short of a loose bolt/nut on the idler, where it connects to the splined shaft, as you described you issue. Of course that assumes the bearings in the Vault hub are in tact.

This is a 2013, and very closeor after the end of Warranty. If you have a Bass Cat dealer close contact them and see what they can determine on options. If there’s nota Bass Cat dealer close, we would contact Dexter service and see where your closest certified service center is and let them work with Dexter and get them involved on this.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The good thing is that with Torsion axles you can run in an emergency on 3 wheels. Unfortunately there is nothing that can cause this issue short of a loose bolt/nut on the idler, where it connects to the splined shaft, as you described you issue. Of course that assumes the bearings in the Vault hub are in tact.

This is a 2013, and very closeor after the end of Warranty. If you have a Bass Cat dealer close contact them and see what they can determine on options. If there’s nota Bass Cat dealer close, we would contact Dexter service and see where your closest certified service center is and let them work with Dexter and get them involved on this.
    Thanks BCB. Upon further inspection, it looks like the spline is stripped. Looks like a new axle is going to be needed. I’ll get on the horn with ufp ASAP. My trailer was actually warrantied by BCB in 2016 at which time I got new axles as well. I’m hoping this helps my case with a warrantied axle from ufp. I’m thinking I may be out of luck for my tournament next weekend but wondering if you’ve ever heard of a temporary weld holding the torsion axle in place until the replacement arrives?

Regarding the vault hub, what’s the easiest way to see if a bearing is shot? Thinking it’s fine but figured might as well check while everything is apart.

Thanks!

4. Member
    And to your other point, my closet BCB dealer is 150 miles away. Hoping there is a dexter dealer closer.

5. Member
    , I was putting my 2013 dual axel trailer away a few weeks ago and noticed that both of the rear wheels had play (back and forth). I thought it unusual that both rear wheel bearings would fail at the same time -- especially since my trailer gets very little use.

Yesterday I had the trailer looked at and it was discovered that it wasn't a bearing issue -- rather both assemblies were loose. The nut/bolt that tightens down on the splined axel part was loose enough that the entire assembly (on both sides) was beginning to work its way off the splines. So we loosened everything, pushed the assembly back fully onto the splines, and tightened everything up. We also checked both wheels on the front axel -- and found that both sides were beginning to loosen up as well. So we did the same thing. I think I'm good to go now -- but am very surprised by these loose nut/bolt conditions. Had I not checked things out I definitely would have lost an entire wheel assembly (or two) while underway. Hmmm.

I2D
    2013 Bass Cat Puma FTD DC

kickerbass10,
    If the axles were replaced in 2016, we do not think that they will even consider a customer service at Dexter. It is very uncommon to have singular axle issues, let alone two separate axle issues on the same trailer. They will wonder and suppose why the splines are an issue, and it would depend on what was done last time requiring axles.

No doubt we have never been Torsion axle fans at BCB, though the world likes the quiet movement vs. spring axle. Still that one bolt should be regularly torqued to 150 ft. lbs. and they do stretch. There is a hard force required to stretch that idler bolt and that will be their question. What force is occurring to cause the axle/spline issue. Often from their (Dexter) experience it is user related.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    kickerbass10,
    If the axles were replaced in 2016, we do not think that they will even consider a customer service at Dexter. It is very uncommon to have singular axle issues, let alone two separate axle issues on the same trailer. They will wonder and suppose why the splines are an issue, and it would depend on what was done last time requiring axles.

No doubt we have never been Torsion axle fans at BCB, though the world likes the quiet movement vs. spring axle. Still that one bolt should be regularly torqued to 150 ft. lbs. and they do stretch. There is a hard force required to stretch that idler bolt and that will be their question. What force is occurring to cause the axle/spline issue. Often from their (Dexter) experience it is user related.

Thanks BCB. The axle replacement last time was part of a larger warranty covered by BCB. My previous trailer frame had issues with the gatorhyde coating and BCB was kind enough to replace a new frame free of charge. My dealer swapped all components though a new frame with axles is what BCB Sent them. Nothing wrong with original axles and replacement was simply a function. I’ll speak to dexter tomorrow.

8. Member
    If I was closer you could use my trailer. My boat is on a lift. But guys make a note. There’s a puma trailer just sitting in GA if you ever need one, for something like this.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    If I was closer you could use my trailer. My boat is on a lift. But guys make a note. There’s a puma trailer just sitting in GA if you ever need one, for something like this.
    Thank you for the offer! Wish you were closer as well!