Little help with oils?

I know this has probably been discussed and beat to death but I can’t find my exact scenario with oils.

This new to me boat has a 2004 225 Optimax. It has Quicksilver DFI oil. There is about an inch and half in the bottom of the tank. I’ve read to run it as low as you can before changing but I’m a little nervous to run it too low. Mixed opinions online on draining the tank, avoiding any air in the lines and mixing certain oils. I have two gallons of Amsoil waiting.

so, what should I do?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Sandbilly; 09-15-2018 at 05:06 PM.

2. Member
    JMO, If Amsoil is going to be your oil of choice fill it up. I have a 06 225 Optimax. Used the Opti oil when it was in warranty, switched to Pennzoil XLF for awhile. Now run Pennzoil semi synthetic Premium Plus. I've run it low like you have, then just added the next oil of choice on top. 870 hours on my 06 Opti.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

3. Member
    THIS
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

4. Member
    10-4, thanks fellas’

5. Member
    Under the 3.0 high performance section, under mercury, you'll find an absolute encyclopedia of information on your engine. Not knocking any advice here, but I have personally picked up some valuable info on different related subjects when I needed it. A lot of knowledge there. Good Luck

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wavewhacker View Post
    Under the 3.0 high performance section, under mercury, you'll find an absolute encyclopedia of information on your engine. Not knocking any advice here, but I have personally picked up some valuable info on different related subjects when I needed it. A lot of knowledge there. Good Luck
    Thanks, I’ll check that. Little late now tho..lol

itll be a good resource.
    Last edited by Sandbilly; 09-16-2018 at 05:35 PM.