Running motor without intake and flywheel cover

So I bought a motor from a guy what does a lot of racing and said that he runs his optimax without the black intake cover or the cover that goes over the flywheel. He says it generates more horsepower cuz better airflow I'm concerned that sucking into the intake or compressor without those covers on it could be problematic. Opinion suggestions experience?
    There is NO substitute for time on the water!

2. Banned
    The concern is the engine running lean. I don't think the Optimax has a mechanism to sense the increased air flow and compensate with more fuel.
    It would probably run really good........... for a short while.

3. Member
    The way the optis I've seen blacken the props at wot, I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    The way the optis I've seen blacken the props at wot, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Optimax's are tuned extremely lean from the factory to meet EPA standards, regardless of the color of the prop.
    But hopefully one of the Mercury techs will chime in to confirm or deny.

5. Member
    it may sound like it is but its not, pcm programing is set and he may be actually decreasing power
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Ran a motor without the flywheel cover and it sucked the insulation off the hood and wrapped it tight around the flywheel.Actually locked up the motor.Had to remove the flywheel to get it off.

7. Member
    yes sir very possible, insulation likely loose in cowl
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................