BoatBuckle Rod Straps in 300 series Ranger

Just bought a Comfortroll tray for my 88 375v. Been wanting to do it for a while, but with my arthritis in my left knee acting up more often now, I figured I could use the help.

Anyway, with the thought of cutting into my boat the thought crossed my mind about installing retractable rod straps. I currently have non-retractable ones from Bass Pro, but they have broken after about 10 years of use and the ones they make now aren't made as well. Who has installed the retractable straps in a 300 series Ranger? Will I have any obstructions to contend with? I know there is a PVC pipe there for electric running from the back on both sides, but didn't know if that would cause any issues.

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Have them on my 1985 350v not a problem but I do not know what trailer you have .

3. Member
    I'm looking at the retractable rod straps, that fit flush in the gunwale. Although I have been considering installing the retractable transom tie downs as well...

4. Member
    I believe you can get the rod straps you are talking about that screw into the floor so you don’t have to cut into the boat. They have a small box that contains the strap when it is retracted. Might want to look into that option. Have a buddy that used the regular ones but instead of cutting into the side of his boat he simply cut into the floor and installed them there. It looks really clean and works flawlessly.

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have the ones cut into the sidewall of the boat no problem except digging out a little foam , you should be able to do it no problem
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

6. Member
    Thanks twitch. Appreciate it!

7. Member
    On my 361 the pvc tube was in the top inside corner of the gunwhale.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTTI View Post
    On my 361 the pvc tube was in the top inside corner of the gunwhale.
    My 487 had a PVC tube also on the starboard side of the boat be careful if that's the case but it still worked.

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have mine on the port side if that matters in front of my rod locker 374V 1990
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years