Quick wiggle wart question

Do the pre rapala warts fish differently than the newer ones or are they just worth more cause they aren’t made any more? Never fished one but thought about trying a couple. Only difference I’ve seen on posts is the writing on bill bottom. Thanks for any info.

'91 Skeeter 200SX Yamaha 200.
    It's hard to stumble when you're on your knees.

2. Member
    Yeah in my opinion, and in a lot of guys, the pre rapalas fish better. The new ones just don't catch as many fish.

3. Member
    They must tow a seine for what some I’ve seen are asking.lol
    I just couldn’t see 5.00 vs 50.00 for something to fish with. Maybe I’ll run up on a few closer to my budget. Thanks for the info.

4. Member
    The actual "good" warts are still rare, among the pre Rapalas. Just being pre Rapala doesn't make it worth whats being payed. Then again having all my prepapalas stolen, may have affected my outlook.

5. Member
    In my opinion it was the inconsistency of them being made in the old pre rap molds. Like mentioned earlier just having a pre rap wouldn't be a guarantee, but if you bought 4 then 1 or 2 may fish awesome. I do think the old ones all hunt better but some were crazier than others. I had a deep box completely full of tried and true good ones blow out of a boat never to be found now I throw Spro Rock Crawlers and just deal in pre rap warts when I can.

6. Member
    IMO there’s very little difference between the old warts and the ones made today. They will all catch fish. Some of the new ones don’t fish the way some fishermen like, they don’t hunt or do what they like for them to do and the same can be said for the old ones. Like Ben said not all old warts fall into the good category as far as the way they fish, but they will all catch fish. I’ve also tried some of the knock offs like the G-5, predator and the Hybrid and all of these will catch fish but they all don’t fish the same way, some hunt some don’t. That’s just my opinion.

7. Member
    Thanks for all the info. Just been reading about them and got interested since I had none. I’ve found what some of you have said to be true of many other lures also. One or two out of several will out fish the others yet appear identical. Just some small difference that you can’t see makes a lot of difference in catching. Thanks again

A lot of the old warts for sale are culls; the really good ones won't hit the market.
    I think it's worth it to buy old stock NIB and pay the extra.

Not intentionally trying to stir the pot, but how do you quantify whether or not one bait can catch fish better than another bait ?

Being that's it never a given that you will catch a fish at all on any trip, there is no way to prove this theory. Even in the span of 10 minutes a bait that was on fire can go from that to not getting a second look, that's just fishing. IMO it's all in people's heads when it comes to baits ... you need to have confidence in a bait to begin with or it flat out won't work for you. You and I could be on the same boat and you're killing them with a certain bait ... you cut that EXACT bait from your line and hand it to me to tie onto my rig and I don't catch squat. What happened ????

All I'm saying is if a bait 'speaks to you' , by all means tie it on and fish it. Don't rely on legend and hearsay too much when it comes to choosing baits, you may be missing out on a great one.

I'll end it with I agree that some baits just have that "it" factor ... could be something as little as one extra or one less BB in the rattle chamber, hardware, slightly different plastic formulation due to a vendor change, etc ... anything mass produced in the numbers that baits are will never be 100% consistent.
    Ranting incoherently

So you hear them too?

Quote Originally Posted by Lund1625 View Post
    So you hear them too?
    I hear a lot of things
    Ranting incoherently

12. Member
    Did an experiment a couple of times with them and another lure. Was catching on the Wart and tried then tied on brand X and kept catching fish. Kept switching back and forth and never saw a difference in the number I was catching. Now I just collect them and when I get a big enough collection I will sell them and have some fun with the "free" money.