Banned

Boat cover support

Have an RT188 single console, bought a nice cover form Academy for ~$200. It's nice, not custom, but nice. I need to support it so water runs off. It is pretty waterproof and is doing a good job. If I can just get it supported, it will work pretty well. I am thinking of either making a PVC structure that stretches and length of boat and rests on front and back deck or goes into the seat poles and keep cover suspended up so water just runs right down. Thoughts? Suggestions? Pics? Thanks!

I made PVC supports that curve across the width of mine, one for the front and one for the back but the problem is the PVC that is thin enough to bend without breaking warps over time and it becomes mis-shaped. It's been a struggle to figure it out. Right now I'm just leaving both seats in mine on the pedestals with the seats folded down. The cover barely fits this way but as long as I keep it tight enough it works. It seems as though when you put the cover on it's tight but after it sits in the sun the cover expands and then you get the sagging. So I have to go back the next day or two and cinch it down a bit more to keep the sags out.
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJfrank View Post
    Have an RT188 single console, bought a nice cover form Academy for ~$200. It's nice, not custom, but nice. I need to support it so water runs off. It is pretty waterproof and is doing a good job. If I can just get it supported, it will work pretty well. I am thinking of either making a PVC structure that stretches and length of boat and rests on front and back deck or goes into the seat poles and keep cover suspended up so water just runs right down. Thoughts? Suggestions? Pics? Thanks!
    Do an online search of "adjustable boat cover pole", many options!

4. Member
    I leave my seats in without the pedestals and put the backs up. No more water standing with the cover that comes with the RT. That should help with any cover.

5. Banned
    Not sure where you need the support but try one those large balls you see at the gym. Place one on the front/back deck, they come in several sizes and because they just air in thin rubber they will flex when cover is tight.

6. Member
    On my Triton 18XS cover, I purchased a Taylor boat vent 3 with support pole. I took my cover to a local boat cover place and for $60 they cut the round hole for the vent and put reinforcement material around the opening. This was done in the center area of the seating area ( 8" in front of the seats). The pole and vent was like $90 in total. It helped my support plus added a vent to get rid of the hot air under my black cover. Works very well.

The company sold a cutter that cut the round hole but I went the awning/boat cover route as it only was $20 more in costs and they sewed in a 7x7" reinforcement piece of material, so it is nice and secure with no leaks.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

7. Member
    I have used extra large beach balls before.

This cover support works well for me. I wanted something that Was easily transported with the cover and easy to install. However I don’t have to deal with much snow. Don’t know how well it would shed snow.

Attached Images Attached Images

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Member
    On my old boat I used a 2 person towable tube to keep the top of the cover up.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    Not sure where you need the support but try one those large balls you see at the gym. Place one on the front/back deck, they come in several sizes and because they just air in thin rubber they will flex when cover is tight.
    This is what I use, have two. Large one for front, smaller for back deck. Cheap fix for your problem.
    97 TR21 99 225EFI S/N OG885575

Here's a picture of mine before I chopped it up. Boats in the garage now, no longer needed.

PVC over the seat posts with a T in the middle with a leg dropping down to the deck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    I put a couple of 30 gal poly barrels in my 16 ft tinny. Paid about $15 each off cl.