Banned

Supoorting a store bought boat cover

Have an RT188 single console, bought a nice cover form Academy for ~$200. It's nice, not custom, but nice. I need to support it so water runs off. It is pretty waterproof and is doing a good job. If I can just get it supported, it will work pretty well. I am thinking of either making a PVC structure that stretches and length of boat and rests on front and back deck or goes into the seat poles and keep cover suspended up so water just runs right down. Thoughts? Suggestions? Pics? Thanks!

2. Member

USA

Do a search of boat cover support threads. Or Google it. I have seen several on BBC.

3. Member
    an ironing board and cover draped over it will work good. OLD SCHOOL way to do it.
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

4. Member
    Here is what I did. I used 1 1/2” pvc pipe, cap, T-fitting and 3/4” bolt & nut. I also bought a bike helmet at Five&Below for $5. The helmet keeps the cover from ripping when tightening the cover to the frame. The helmet also straps to the T-fitting so it doesn’t come off but it can still pivot. I already had everything except the bolt, nut and helmet so it didn’t cost much at all. It doesn’t cost much even if you have to buy everything.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

5. Member
    I ran a L shaped PVC over both seat poles and connected push together in the middle. Made a nice tent to allow water to roll off.

Beach balls, your welcome.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

I use a couple of these under mine year round. Keeps the rain and snow from weighing down the cover. You can inflate them with the hose from a shop vac.

http://www.shippersproducts.com/prod...woven-airbags/

8. Member
    I use 1 1/2 "PVC. Front and rear vertical pieces go over the seat post. There is a T in the middle with another vertical piece going the floor, with a T on the bottom for more stability. There is also a PVC piece going down at a 45 degree angle from the top of the front post to the bow(not in the pic). My cover goes over, and is hooked with straps underneath. I also have 2 tarp clips I got from harbor freight that go on the back edge of the cover, and are fastened to the 2 spots on the back of the boat where the rear tie down straps connect.
    I have towed the boat with this setup at 70+ miles an hour with no problems. If my boat will be in the water over night, and it looks like rain, I use the same system, and I just don't use the tie downs. Just the elastic on the cover works fine. It's been through heavy down pours and the boat stays dry.
    I have the same system with longer vertical pipes for when I put my shrink wrap on for the Winter.I'll be on my 6th Winter with the same shrink wrap.Which will last if you take your time taking it off.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    i use my pole seats

10. Member
    PVC is cheap and easy. We made one kind of shaped like a tent for my dads little crawdad that he keeps at his camper/lake. Works great.

11. Member
    yoga ball

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    Beach balls, your welcome.
    Good, CHEAP, idea

I tried PVC but summer heat caused poles to soften, warp, and bend. Tried seat poles but were too tall. Tried 5 gal plastic buckets but cover sagged and water pooled. Final solution was to buy two piece aluminum poles (adjustable) with rubber chair foot on bottom. Installed 3 Boat Vent II's in cover. Put one grommet in front and one in back for pointed poles. Works great, has ventilation, keeps cover tight like an umbrella so water runs off.
    https://www.sailrite.com/Boat-Vent-I...SABEgJeePD_BwE

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJfrank View Post
    Have an RT188 single console, bought a nice cover form Academy for ~$200. It's nice, not custom, but nice. I need to support it so water runs off. It is pretty waterproof and is doing a good job. If I can just get it supported, it will work pretty well. I am thinking of either making a PVC structure that stretches and length of boat and rests on front and back deck or goes into the seat poles and keep cover suspended up so water just runs right down. Thoughts? Suggestions? Pics? Thanks!
    Did the pvc poles works great. Left seat posts in and went high enough to go over windshield. 2 elbows and 2 T pieces. Sorry no pics.
    2015 189 trx

This cover support works well for me. I wanted something that Was easily transported with the cover and easy to install.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 09-22-2018 at 05:41 PM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

I used 2 inch PVC and built what looked like a saw horse. The PVC tube running from the front to the back deck was too long to leave unsupported. So, I put a 3 way joint in the middle and put another vertical pipe there to support the middle.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

17. Scraps
    Swiss balls. I've tried beach balls butt they lose air.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 89-289FS View Post
    I use 1 1/2 "PVC. Front and rear vertical pieces go over the seat post. There is a T in the middle with another vertical piece going the floor, with a T on the bottom for more stability. There is also a PVC piece going down at a 45 degree angle from the top of the front post to the bow(not in the pic). My cover goes over, and is hooked with straps underneath. I also have 2 tarp clips I got from harbor freight that go on the back edge of the cover, and are fastened to the 2 spots on the back of the boat where the rear tie down straps connect.
    I have towed the boat with this setup at 70+ miles an hour with no problems. If my boat will be in the water over night, and it looks like rain, I use the same system, and I just don't use the tie downs. Just the elastic on the cover works fine. It's been through heavy down pours and the boat stays dry.
    I have the same system with longer vertical pipes for when I put my shrink wrap on for the Winter.I'll be on my 6th Winter with the same shrink wrap.Which will last if you take your time taking it off.
    Hope this helps.
    THIS ^^^^^^^^ WORKS GREAT AND LASTS LONG TIME.
    Rocket

19. Member
    I took PVC pipe in front and back seat post. Put a foam soccer ball on top of them.

20. Member
    A buddy of mine made a frame out of PVC works good and he uses a blue tarp from walmart. I just put my sit down seat in the third/floor pedestal seat hole and leave the back rest in the up position on mine.
    1995 Skeeter 200ZX, 1998 Mercury 200 (OG724176)
    2015 Ram 3500 dually Cummins G56
    The Bible