Dale hallow or Cumberland to take him somewhere

I知 looking to take my boy fishing the second week in October and I was wanting to take him somewhere we can actually catch some fish. Indiana fishing sucks. Would the fishing be better at Cumberland or dale hollow that time of year? I知 pretty familiar with dale hollow for pleasure boating but not familiar at all with Cumberland. My boy is 10 and I知 hoping to get him hooked on fishing it痴 just so hard to do with so many few bites in Indiana.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    October I'd hit Cumberland...

December - March Dale...

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

Of the two options you listed with the given time frame then Cumberland. If your open to a suggestion in that time frame the Barren.

4. Member
    Barren would be better for that time of year?

If it was Oct 15 then definitely yes. The winter draw down starts Oct 15. It's been my experience the first few days of the draw-down the fish are active. I have done decent early October and decent on the start of the draw down but once it gets down about 5 ft I stop going to Barren.

Now that I think about it I have had some good days on Cumberland in October which were mid to late October. I can remember more than once being on Cumberland having a decent day when youth gun or early muzzle loader season was going on because I recall hunters being out.

Dale in October can be good around the grass.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

7. Member
    If you just want to get him bites you may consider nolin.Only thing on it or
    barren is keep tabs on the turnover.Any of them can be good on any
    given day.

8. Member
    Thanks guys

9. Member
    Cumberland is fishing pretty damn good now and it ll only be better by oct— I fish both dale and Cumberland regularly and it’s just easier and more consistent than dale imo

10. Member
    HH45cal I sent you a pm

11. Member
    I think we will go to Cumberland. Is there any camp grounds with cabins you guys would recommend? Or any place to stay I guess.

12. Member
    +1 on Cumberland. Check out the State Park; they have a nice lodge and cabins. I would suggest a cabin and a LONG extension cord for charging. No plug ins at the Lodge. Nice facilities and in an area of the lake that fishes the best. Just my opinion though.

13. Banned
    Cumberland or Dale will be fishing good in October. I personally think Cumberland has the best chance for a trophy smallmouth but Dale has a bigger population of 4lb + fish.

Barren has been pretty consistently terrible for 3-4 yrs.

Conley bottom has cabins and a campground but it can be hit and miss and they charge a lot of fees. There are a lot of vrbo homes on the lake if you want to go that route. Also Golden Pond Resort and Lees Ford Marina have cabins for rent.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

15. Member
    I just booked a vrbo cabin for the first weekend in October near Jamestown. Wife and I are going. I've never done well there, but looking forward to getting away. Any suggestions on where the fish are and what's working? Any recommendations or PM's would be appreciated!!