New boat tax question

I bought a new boat(out of state) and mailed in the taxes on my total purchase my check was cashed for the taxes however I never received a receipt in return. Now I’ve been trying to get my trailer plates and they won’t issue them to me do to showing proof the taxes are paid. I guess a system isn’t in place for them to find this info.

Who do do I call to get this figured out DNR or dept of revenue?

did you guys remember getting anything back showing proof of taxes paid?
    Last edited by jasonG; 09-15-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    Nitro z21

I’ve never done an out of state purchase on a boat but from reading your post, I would be calling whoever cashed my tax check and asking for a receipt.

3. Member
    Yep
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

4. Member
    If you paid with a check, that cancelled check should/could be your receipt. Also, there should have been a form that was filled out to go with the check to the Illinois Department of Revenue. Did you or someone else make a copy of this form?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Jim View Post
    If you paid with a check, that cancelled check should/could be your receipt. Also, there should have been a form that was filled out to go with the check to the Illinois Department of Revenue. Did you or someone else make a copy of this form?
    I have both but Im being told that’s not good enough
    Nitro z21

6. Member
    In Illinois the boat title is done through the DNR and the trailer title is through the state usually done at a Driver's License Facility. This could also be done at a currency exchange, I suppose. On a boat that I bought I sent in the form RUT-75. The buyer retained a copy of this form and the top copy was sent to the Department of Revenue with the required tax payment. If you paid the sales tax you have a copy of the RUT-75 form. You have the cancelled check. Take them and the title and registration of the trailer to the Drivers License Facility. They will give you the plates right there.