Thread: Trailer tires

Trailer tires

How long do you guys keep your current trailer tires before you put on new tires? Got my Z520C in April 2016 and 3 years will be this spring. Was debating on changing out the tires when I had the annual maintenance done. I probably need to get the oil changed out in the hubs too. Was just curious on what everyone else was doing. If my memory serves me correctly I think I changed mine out every 3 years on my 188.

thanks guys

General wisdom on trailer tires is to replace them at 6 years no matter what the mileage. How many miles on your tires? What is the tread depth? Is the tread wear even across the face of the tire? Lots of miles would be the only reason to change them sooner.

As far as wheel hubs. They are not oil filled. Ranger uses the UFP Vault hubs which use a hybroid grease. They (UFP) do not recommend messing with the hubs for 10 years unless there is excessive play in the bearing or signs of excessive leaking out the backside of the hub. Jack up the wheel; see if it rolls smoothly; rock the wheel in and out to check for end play, should be just a little.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. Member
    I’ve got 1,200 miles on them. Thanks

4. Member
    Tire brand and where they were made should also be taken into consderation.

5. Member
    Ranger more than likely put Chinese tires on the trailer. I would change them with Goodyear Endurance tires regardless of mileage and age based on my two tire failures running Carlilses. Replacing Ranger fendors is really expensive. But thats me. Get the name of the brand thats on them then check with the manufactures warranty and replace them based on that. When I had my last tire failure running those Chinese tires, my tire pressure monitoring system showed the tire pressure was 52 psi and 76 degrees.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Ranger more than likely put Chinese tires on the trailer. I would change them with Goodyear Endurance tires regardless of mileage and age based on my two tire failures running Carlilses. Replacing Ranger fendors is really expensive. But thats me. Get the name of the brand thats on them then check with the manufactures warranty and replace them based on that. When I had my last tire failure running those Chinese tires, my tire pressure monitoring system showed the tire pressure was 52 psi and 76 degrees.
    This is a great post! Going on 4000 miles on Endurance tires in two seasons. Single axle 519 that’s a test. Probably change after 3-4 seasons. Chinese manufactured trires are a roll of the dice. AKA China bombs. Proper inflation is key to tire reliability and road conditions. I have had all brands Marathon, Carlilses, and now Endurance. Had failures on all except Endurance.

7. Member
    I also have Endurance on a single axle 188VS and so far so good. I bought them right when they came out from Discount Tire Direct because nobody local could get them in time for an upcoming trip and I had just replaced my axle that was bad on the port side and causing my tire to rub the fender and wear on the inside. I bought mine in early March of 17 and I believe the build date code is Nov of 16. I've got maybe 2k miles on them and they look good. They don't come with as much tread depth as other tires but I can't notice any wear so far.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Good post. I'm running Goodyear Endurance on a single axle under a Z118 after going through 2 sets of Carililses and one fender. One set lasted 3.5 years and the other 2 years. The Endurance seems to be a much stouter tire so I'm hoping to get 4 or 5 years out of them.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

I have 26xxx miles on 4 endurance tires on a non ranger 20' glass bass boat, you should probably just run them a few more years or until you notice cracks in the tread.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    When I had my second Carlilse blowout I was around 1100 miles from home fishing in Florida. I had to put a third set on because that is what Discount Tire had in stock that would get me down the road. When I got back to Texas two weeks later I replaced them with the Goodyear Endurance. I will say Carlilse is a stand-up company because both times they covered their tires and my fender repairs. Its just to bad their tires are made in China and not in the US. Both blowouts came with the tires being right at 3 yrs old and had more than half of the usable tread wear left. At a minimum, I plan on replacing the Endurance tires at the 4 year Goodyear warranty regardless of tread wear. That will include the spare regardless if it has been on the ground or not. The closest lake to me is an 1hr+ run down the interstate so I am not wanting to push my luck.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 09-17-2018 at 11:34 AM.

11. Member
    I change out every 3 years no matter what. Beats a blow put and the endurance is the best tire I have ran. Outside of a nail I dont have issues by keeping new tires.