On the First Connecticut lake...

Renting a cabin on the first Connecticut lake in Pittsburg, NH this weekend. I read that Back lake has bass so I intend on hitting that. I'd like to try the 1st Connecticut as I'm here. I understand it's trout and salmon only. I'm fairly unprepared to fish for these species. My best option may be a drop shot. Any tips on where I may find em this time of year? I have pretty good electronics with si/di and chirp sonar and have the boat with me.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

Funny my brother is camping at ramble wood right now.
    I went up there a few years ago. I didn't know there were no bass in the area.
    The only bass aroud are in back lake.
    Unfortunately when I was there the lake was to low we couldn't get off the trailer.
    We fished the first lake trying to find a bass anyway.
    It just looks like small mouth country but no dice.
    I don't know the area to give you spots but I would fish the shallows flats with a soft bottom.
    I've caught trout while bass fishing on. Drop shots , lizards and jerk baits aroud here.
    I would stop somewhere and pick up a couple of small spinners and troll around looking for them. Hopefully someone more familiar with the area will chime in.
    Good luck I hope you catch some.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

3. Member
    I spent a few hours on the 1st CT. Marked fish in the 20-40ft range but couldn't make em bite. Tried a dropshot and also a jerk bait. Used a 3way swivel to attach 1.5 oz of tungsten and had the jerkbait on a 3 ft leader. Nothing. Hitting Back lake in the am for lmb and smb

Good luck.
    Anthrax

5. Member
    Back lake was absolutely fantastic. Was like shooting bass in a barrel. The lake was low. I had to back the truck pretty far in to get the trailer deep enough to float the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by jprovencher80 View Post
    Back lake was absolutely fantastic. Was like shooting bass in a barrel. The lake was low. I had to back the truck pretty far in to get the trailer deep enough to float the boat.

Good to hear. I never made it in, we couldn't get off the trailer.
    Any size to them ?
    Anthrax

7. Member
    I caught a ton of dinks. After I had my fill I decided to see if there were any monsters in there by tossing a large swim bait. After a few casts I had an absolute Mammoth of a bass follow it in. She looked like she would have easily exceeded 6lbs. I'll bet you there are good numbers of large bass. The lake primarily receives trout fishing traffic. The North country sees bass as a nuisance. The lake is well stocked so there is abundant food for the bass.

8. Member
    I think you saw "the" big fish.. I've had a place there for years, and it's rat city. Lots of them though!