Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Confirmed failure from leaking oil pump ?

Does anyone know of a confirmed engine failure that was the direct result of one of these leaking oil pumps ??
    Or do they just make a mess and waste oil.

2. Member
    Great Question! Something we have all questioned but were afraid to ask. lol Following.

3. Member
    It would really depend on just how bad the leak was, however any oil leaking into the cowling, is supposed to go somewhere important.

I may be wrong and look at it a different way similar to my LU and trim system. It is a sealed system so if oil can get out, then other crap can get in. I want pure DFI oil in there.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I may be wrong and look at it a different way similar to my LU and trim system. It is a sealed system so if oil can get out, then other crap can get in. I want pure DFI oil in there.
    I see your point--however the oil is being forced out only when it's under pressure. Most likely from a microscopic spot in an O ring... Anything that gets inside the cowl would be sucked into the air intake long before it could make it through that O ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    It would really depend on just how bad the leak was, however any oil leaking into the cowling, is supposed to go somewhere important.
    That would be my biggest concern.. Without knowing exactly how the pump works..
    The big question for me-- is that leak on the supply side and just making a mess or is it losing oil that is not getting to a critical spot. (if that makes sense)

Thus my original question about a confirmed oil related engine failure..

7. Member
    Mine was leaking. I got some O rings from a member here and installed one. Took it to the shop and had the pump primed. The tech told me as long as the oil supply was good, and the pump was pumping it would be fine , but messy. Well the O ring replacement didn't fix it. It still leaks. I'm contemplating a new oil pump but I am angry about the whole situation. It would seem Mercury could service this issue without the customer having to spend $500 for a pump. $150 for the install and prime. It's not good business as far as I'm concerned to fleece the customer in the neighborhood of $650 for $2 O ring. I realize $650 is less than a new powerhead but that comparison is not the point. The $650 repair for a $2 O ring is the point. I hate mine leaking and I'm gonna address it if I don't find a more reasonable resolve I aint gonna be happy about it.
    Sorry for the rant.
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    I was told by a reputable dealer that had seen a lot of these that they were only leaking after the motor was shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    I was told by a reputable dealer that had seen a lot of these that they were only leaking after the motor was shut off.
    Interesting !!
    I do know mine has not leaked for the last week while sitting at home...So if this is correct it must be for a short time immediately after shutting down.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A couple observations to add:

-Mercury does not offer individual components, or o-rings for the oil pumps.

-If one external o-ring is leaking, it is also likely that one or more of the seven INTERNAL o-rings may also be leaking.

-While I do not recommend operating an engine with a known-leaking oil pump, I have not (to date) personally witnessed a powerhead failure due solely to a leaking oil pump.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I'm in a pickle with this.
    Can't get in to have the prime sequence done before a week long championship tournament. (this will be my 21'st consecutive one to be qualified for)
    Not sure if it will help but I will fill oil tank to a visible mark and refill each day and do my best to monitor oil consumption vs run time. While checking how much has leaked each day.
    I'll get a pump ordered from Ronda and replace when I get back.

Also I did put about a 1/4 turn on each of the three housing bolts with allen wrench. Might get lucky that the leak stops for a while.

12. Member
    Congrats on your achievement......Good Luck!!!!

13. Joe4d
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I'm in a pickle with this.
    Can't get in to have the prime sequence done before a week long championship tournament. (this will be my 21'st consecutive one to be qualified for)
    Not sure if it will help but I will fill oil tank to a visible mark and refill each day and do my best to monitor oil consumption vs run time. While checking how much has leaked each day.
    I'll get a pump ordered from Ronda and replace when I get back.
    Also I did put about a 1/4 turn on each of the three housing bolts with allen wrench. Might get lucky that the leak stops for a while.
    Well its already leaking, so probably wont make it worse, but Oring sealed items tend to need to be torqued to spec. Over torque will squeezeout oring and cause worse leaking.
    NOt HAveing worked on this part in specific , just in general pressurized oring sealed items.
    Probably source of these leaking. Whoever putting them on,, just "tightening" rather than use a torque wrench. Bet if u check manual there is a spec.

Was unable to find spec in my manual.

15. Member
    That's because the o-ring is not a serviced item.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

That's what I figured so I just but my best (feels right tight)

I have a very good friend that is very high up in Mercury service. When I told him I was going to try the "oring method" he discouraged the intent but at the same time said "they all 'weep'".

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

18. Member
    None of my oil pumps ever weeped, so the "they ALL weep" statement is not accurate.

19. Member
    Mine has never leaked or weeped in 9 1/2yrs and verified over the weekend while doing engine maintenance.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

20. Member
    Has anyone had any luck with warranty replacing the pump?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast