95 Javelin with 94 fastrike 175

Its about time for a new prop, shes a little dinged up. Its has a 14.5x22 raker on it, the boat has no jack plate and is set at factory height. I'm happy with the way it runs, but wonder if I might be happier with something else. Boat is a 389

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

"Typically" a combo like yours runs a 24 Raker. If your 22 Raker is in the correct rpm range and you like the way it performs but its a little dinged up then have it repaired. I highly recommend Mark Croxten.

...here is his link http://www.marksprops.com/

What are your numbers currently? Max RPM, Max Speed, Hole shot performance?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

I had a new 1996 389/175 Fast Strike and it ran best at 2.3/4 below with a 24 Raker....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    Current speed is around 54@ 5800 rpm. I would like to go faster with less rpm. The hole shot is good and I didn't know if a 24p would kill the hole shot, since I dont have a jack plate. If the prop wasnt dinged up I wouldn't even be considering a different prop. Thanks

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You're about 300 RPM over the operating range of the motor, 4500-5500 so going to the 24 Raker should get you back down where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuel View Post
    Current speed is around 54@ 5800 rpm. I would like to go faster with less rpm. The hole shot is good and I didn't know if a 24p would kill the hole shot, since I dont have a jack plate. If the prop wasnt dinged up I wouldn't even be considering a different prop. Thanks
    A 24 Raker is what you need...as Fred said your 300 over max suggested range so a 24 Raker will put you close to 5500 and I also bet your speed jumps 2-3 mph with a 24 pitch Raker. Fred will know the correct answer but I "think" the rev limiter kicks in at 6000 or 6100 but 5500 is where it makes its rated HP and it best to turn them closer to 5500.

I have a Javelin Renegade 19. It is the EXACT same hull as a 389. 1998 and older were called 389. In 1999 when they redesigned the top cap deck lay out they renamed the hull Renegade 19. The first 13 years I had my boat I ran a Ficht 150 with no jackplate and my max rpm was around 54-5500 pending conditions. I have no idea what the motor height was. In 2014 I re-powered with a E-TECH 150 HO and went to a 24 Raker II with a 6" jack-plate with a 3.25" prop to pad height and my rpm is 55-5600 pending conditions...long story short your combo of 18'9" with 150 or 175 horsepower performs well with a 24 Raker.

8. Member
    Thanks guys. 24p it is.

9. Member
    I found a nice looking 14.5 x 24 raker II for $150, does this sound good?
    Thanks

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    It sounds like a great deal if its a good prop. Brand new they are about 400+ bones. A quick google search shows them at one site on sale for 369 but most have them 450 ish. Now if the prop does not come with a hub kit that would bring down the value. FYI the Raker and Raker II use a different hub kit and mounting hardware. Make sure before you buy that you know what all, if anything comes with the prop. If it comes without a hub kit and mounting hardware your going to be out another 60 ish dollars to get it mounted to your motor.

If your ever in south central KY give me a contact...I have 3 Raker props...one 24 Raker and two 24 Raker II's. You can test spin one at my local lake if you want. I would not part with either of my Raker II's but might consider moving my original 24 Raker.

11. Member
    Thanks for the info, sounds like you like the rakerII better, any particular reason?

I've got the prop on and it came with everything. It came from a friend of a friend and I can take it back if I dont like it, you can't beat that -:) ,already have it on the motor. I'm going fishing tonight and I'm going to leave a btt early to see what I think.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    The Raker is good on a carburetor or Ficht motor. The E-TECH runs a extremely high exhaust temperature so when the motor was released they re-designed the Evinrude props so they have a different hub system that can better handle the heat. The pressed in rubber hub that a raker has will work on a E-TECH but over a period of time it will deteriorate due to high exhaust temperatures. I have ran my Raker on my E-TECH just to see how it does. It blows a small amount on breakover but not real bad. I can lightly feather the throttle and still have a 4-5 second holeshot. Once its hooked up it's actually about 1 mph faster than both my Raker II's. When I was running it on my Ficht I had no jackplate. When I re-powered I added a 6"jackplate so I would have something to mount two Talons too. My new setup runs a slightly higher prop to pad and this will lead to blowout. I could probably drop the jackplate .5" and get it hooked up on holeshot but I was just seeing what the prop would do because I want to run the Raker II due to the TBX hub. The TBX hub flows the exhaust away from the hub differently than the pressed in raker hub. This in return has better life on the hub. The reason I have two 24 Raker II's is because I got one with my new motor and like you I found a good deal. I kept my original Raker from my old motor so this is how I ended up with three props. I should probably move the Raker and just keep the Raker II for a spare. Too say I like one better than the other is a toss up. In reality all three perform very close to each other it's just the hub in the Raker II is better in the long run for my motor...again it does not matter on a carburetor or Ficht motor.

13. Member
    I liked the prop, y'alls advice was right on the money. Was a bit slower coming out of the hole, but not bad. It cruises nice from 4500 to 5500. I can still turn it up to 5800 and get 59 mph.
    I see where some people with same boat, motor and prop as me are getting 62 to 63 mph. Do I not get those speeds because I dont have a jack plate?

Oh, fishing wasnt bad tonight either

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar