Rear storage compartments

Has anyone ever added gas pistons to them?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Not me, but I doubt it would be difficult to do. Supposedly auto parts stores carry similar pistons in stock. And of course we can always get them from Ranger. The one I ought to do is the cooler in front of the driver side console. I use it for a day box, and getting into it a dozen or more times a day would be more convenient with a piston assist (mainly, holding it open). My storage boxes often get full to the brim, however, so I’d have to leave room for the piston arm.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Great idea! One thing to consider the lid is reinforced at bracket point. I added a second piston to my center compartment and the bracket pulled out. I’m going to laminate a piece of 1/8” aluminum plate to this area. Epoxy and ss screws to laminate the plate to the inner lid. Then attach the bracket to the laminated area. You can get a complete kit including brackets from Ranger parts.

4. Member
    O put them on my '14 Z520C. Work very well. Bought pistons and brackets from Ranger.

John

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Not me, but I doubt it would be difficult to do. Supposedly auto parts stores carry similar pistons in stock. And of course we can always get them from Ranger. The one I ought to do is the cooler in front of the driver side console. I use it for a day box, and getting into it a dozen or more times a day would be more convenient with a piston assist (mainly, holding it open). My storage boxes often get full to the brim, however, so I’d have to leave room for the piston arm.
    This was the reason I left the cooler a cooler and not a day box. I ended up getting a small soft sided tackle bag that holds those small Plano boxes. I have two Plano trays, one with my most common hard baits the other with terminal tackle. The bag is small but hold lots of gear for the day. Plastic warm bags, spools of fluoro leader, hook sharpener and stuff like that. I found myself opening and closing the lids 30 times a day, now I just keep this bag on the step or under the counsel. It actually works very well and better then gear laying around getting stepped on or flying out at 60 mph. When I run low of my most common items I just replenish. Or I can reorganize for what ever water body I'm going to.

6. Member
    For me, I see no reason to add them to my rear storage boxes nor livewell lids as they open beyond 90 degrees.

Now, as for my step/cooler I have contemplated adding one there for it though.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

7. Member
    I was thinking of the rear compartments and the cooler that’s on the front deck I don’t like the way the lids open past 90* it seems like it stresses the hinges. I’m going to order through ranger unless there’s a reason there not built with these already installed

8. Member
    Mine swing easily all the way to the gunnel, no stress felt at all, hinges and fasteners are still tight.
    Not saying yours are wrong or anything, just saying mine seem fine.
    Mike

9. Member
    Mainly I added them on the rear compartments because of the stress it put on the passengers fishing rods!!

John

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hagins View Post
    Mainly I added them on the rear compartments because of the stress it put on the passengers fishing rods!!

John
    Bingo. Or your own, if you are by yourself and stick a rod or two on the passenger side. What happens is that the lid swings all the way open, then the hooked part of the latch catches on the rod, then the rod is pulled forward when you swing the lid to close it. Better hope the rod isn’t strapped down when that happens, or you’ll be ordering another rod. Not that I ever do anything dumb like that.

11. Member
    Bingo. Or your own, if you are by yourself and stick a rod or two on the passenger side. What happens is that the lid swings all the way open, then the hooked part of the latch catches on the rod, then the rod is pulled forward when you swing the lid to close it. Better hope the rod isn’t strapped down when that happens, or you’ll be ordering another rod. Not that I ever do anything dumb like that.
    Hmmm, my T latches stay put. Never really had a problem with the coangler's rods. But with this, I'll have to keep an eye on it.
    Mike

I do the same! Which compartment do you use for an ice chest?
    2015/Z119C with Mercury Pro XS 225/Humminbird Solix 10 (Bow)/Humminbird Solix 10 & Lowrance HDS 9Touch (console)/112 Ultrex with iPilot Link (MegaDownscan built in)/2019 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Liter 4 X 4 SR5 TRD

13. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    If I use an ice chest, I use the rear compartment behind the passenger seat. Normally, if I’m carrying ice, I use a small portable cooler placed under my passenger console. A passenger, if I have one, can easily straddle the cooler when running, and it’s out of the way while fishing. What works really well if the port/rear compartment is open is to put a small portable cooler inside that compartment. With double insulation, ice doesn’t melt at all, even on the hottest days.

14. Member
    My boat actually had lid assists on the rear compartments when I bought it. When I re-carpeted the boat I decided to reinforce the contact point on the underside of the deck lid for better support. I found this white powder coated plate at my local hardware store (electrical area), it came with the rubber gasket you can see protruding around the circumference. I used rivets..... don't ask why, I think I was on rivet kick. I also used adhesive for extra hold.

15. Member
    I like it!^^^^^