Banned

Catholics aren't Christian?

Is that what passes as fact here?

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/longe...lics-christian

http://www.catholicbridge.com/cathol...-christian.php

One could ask the same question, "why do Baptists, Pentecostals, United, Methodist, or even nondenominational communities use those words and not simply say Christian?" The word Catholic was used by the year 110 A.D. to distinguish the Church of the Apostles from heretical teachings. St. Ignatius of Antioch, was a disciple of St. John, along with St. Polycarp. The Church historian Theodoret says Ignatius was consecrated bishop by St. Peter, the apostle, who was the first bishop of Antioch before returning to Rome.
    Ignatius was martyred in Rome under Emperor Trajan's rule. It was during the journey to Rome that he wrote his famous letters that contain invaluable information about the early Church. He was the first to document the term "Catholic" in its current form to describe the Church.It means "universal". Ignatius' use of the word shows it was in common use. His is the earliest extant writing which has "ekklesia katholicos" where Catholic is an adjective modifying "Church" in the nominative. In Acts 5:11 and 15:22 we find "holen ten ekklesian." It is derivative of the same root as katholicos and is in the nominative and is translated as "The Whole Church" and then in Acts 9:21 we find εκκλησια καθ'ολης (ekklesia kathholes) and here Catholic is also an adjective, but it does not modify "Church" because it modifies the words following it, best translated as "the Church throughout the whole of..."
    Catholic, referring to the Whole Church was a term in common use at the time but Ignatius' writing is simply the oldest still existing text which contains a specific form of the phrase we still use today as a proper name. That of "ekklesia katholicos," which means "Universal Church". The terms "holen ten ekklesian" which means "The Whole Church" and "ekklesia kathholes" which means "The Church throughout the whole of" were also in use, and by the Apostles no less.
    Knowing this now, I'll sign-off and work this travesty off at the Soup Kitchen!! Some of you NEED to read your books!!

2. Member
    We rejoice when a catholic, freely takes the salvation offered without being tied to non biblical dogma.

Must have missed something. Where was it claimed that Catholic is not Christian.

BTW
    I believe in God, the Father Almighty,Maker of heaven and earth,
    and in Jesus Christ,
    His only Son, our Lord:
    Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
    born of the Virgin Mary,
    suffered under Pontius Pilate,
    was crucified, died, and was buried.
    He descended into hell.
    On the third day He rose again from the dead.
    He ascended into heaven
    and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
    from there He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
    I believe in the Holy Spirit,
    the Holy catholic Church,
    the communion of saints,
    the forgiveness of sins,
    the resurrection of the body,
    and the life everlasting
    Amen
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

4. Member
    I am a Christian first and a Catholic second. As I understand it, the message is salvation through Jesus that determines Christianity.

Mark 9:38-4138
    "Teacher," said John, "we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us."
    "Do not stop him," Jesus said. "For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me,
    for whoever is not against us is for us.
    Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

5. Member
    I'm not smart enough or knowledgeable enough to answer your question.

I figure God knows, and I gave up trying to tell Him, He was wrong a long time ago.

6. Member
    That is a amazing scripture Mark 9:38-41 (especially the last sentence ), does that apply also to the followers/members of Joel Osteen's church ?

7. Member
    "The way forward is to define what we mean by “Christian”. Catholics define “Christian” as any person who is baptized and who has faith in Jesus Christ. Insofar as this goes, most Christians from every denomination would agree. This definition of “Christian” is a baseline. It’s the foundation.

Most would have to define "Baptism" ? Brought into the body of Christ (upon belief), Water, emersion, sprinkled, full emersion, spirit filled ? Definitions matter …………………...

8. Member
    "The question therefore is not, “Are Catholics Christian” or “Are Evangelical Protestants Christian” but How much of the Christian faith do you embrace? Evangelicals tend to follow a reduced, minimalist version of the faith.

I find that highlighted sentence fascinating , do you ?

9. Member
    From the second article, I find this amusing as well. "I
    t is good that Evangelicals and Catholics have lively discussions on the interpretation of Scripture. Evangelicals do that with each other all the time. That's why there are so many different denominations"

Nice slam on Evangelicals from a nice God fearing Catholic :) . (not saying they don't need it)

10. Member
    From the second article : "
    However, any organization that says "Catholics are not Christians," is ignoring the
    history of Christianity
    . The name
    Christian
    predates all Protestant and Evangelical Churches by over a millennium. Many Evangelicals who think that Catholics are not Christian may be surprised to learn they accept the authority of several Catholic councils every time they pick up their Bible. The Bible didn't fall out of the sky, spiral bound with an NIV sticker on it. It has a
    rich Catholic history
    . "

I think I brought up this point in a few of my responses in other threads a month or two ago...………………………….. all went unnoticed by the religious (evangelical crowd). Well, they didn't really go unnoticed, just frowned upon and called my belief/faith into question. :) Still love you all.

11. Member
    I scrolled through the entirety of the second article mentioned by the OP .........................pretty accurate.