Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where to go within 3 hours of Boston?

I would like to do some big lake fishing, I live about 20 minutes north of Boston and have a 19' aluminum boat, I have fished on Sebago and Long lake in Maine, didn't to very well on either. Are there any lakes within a few hours that hold Pike or good amount of bass, largemouth or smallmouth? I have heard mention of the Connecticut river but it looks like a pretty large area to go to without some area information. Thanks for any info

2. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Don't know about pike but NH has plenty of smallmouth and largemouth , Winnisquam, New Found and Winnipiesaukie, and plenty of other up there Wentworth , MerryMeeting to name a few go online and check them out
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

3. Member
    Squam Lake. It's by far my favorite lake to fish. Incredible views, easy and free boat launch, and phenomenal fishing for both largies and smallies. I think from Boston it's probably a 2.5 hour drive. Need a map to know where all of the marker buoys are, but I find it's far easier/safer to navigate than Winni.

Winni is another option, about 20-30 minutes closer than Squam depending on where you launch, but limited free launches. Boat traffic this time of the year isn't too bad on the weekends too. Great smallies and largies, but obviously is a ton of water to cover, so a bit harder to narrow it down in a short amount of time.

Newfound has some of the best fighting smallmouth I've ever experienced. But, they're tough to find right now with the summer pattern still holding on tight. In a few weeks they'll start moving up a little bit and the fishing will get a lot better. This would also probably be about a 2.5 hour drive for you though.

Lake Sunapee has made quite the rebound in quality, and may be the closest option for you. The launch is at the state park and is a bit of a nightmare though, but the scenery is also pretty nice with Mt. Sunapee right there.

The connecticut river out of the Hinsdale and the Walpole section is pretty awesome, gets hammered quite a bit from tournaments but has shown some good bags of both smallies and largies. And it's got a lot of pike and walleye in it as well. I think that's the only fishery in the state that you can hit all 4 of those species.

Winnisquam has really good quality largies and smallies, but I've never had any luck there post spawn, and I know a lot of folks that have said the same. This is actually probably the closest option to you for "bike lake" fishing. Like the other lakes, it should start turning on really hard in the coming weeks with temperatures dropping. Maybe a 15 minute drive off of exit 20 off I-93, the boat launch facility is owned by F&G so it's free, has ample parking, and is in phenomenal shape still. Very easy lake to run with little obstructions.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info, I am probably targeting spring to try and hit one of these lakes. I like the sound of Winnisquam.

thanks again.

5. Member
    Wentworth is good for both large and small mouth and much smaller a lake to manage in a day than Winni.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedgestank View Post
    Wentworth is good for both large and small mouth and much smaller a lake to manage in a day than Winni.
    Wholeheartedly agree with this, but is likely more than a 3 hour ride for him

7. Member
    Unfortunately Winnipesaukee is in serious decline for bass fishing, not sure what the problem/s are. Best advice I can give is fish lakes in southern Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zpilot View Post
    Unfortunately Winnipesaukee is in serious decline for bass fishing, not sure what the problem/s are. Best advice I can give is fish lakes in southern Maine.
    rock bass, and over fishing?
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

9. Member
    IMO rock bass have only been a factor for a year or two. The real issue as you stated is overfishing and that includes to many bass tournaments the last decade or so and no closed bass season during the spawn. Catch and immediate release during the spawn is not effective anymore due to the popularity of bed fishing which I could never understand. Takes no skill, perhaps that is why it is so popular.

10. Member
    I have a place on Long lake in Harrison ME, the fishing is not very good.

With all due respect, you have no idea of what you're talking about. BASS Nation has had 3 tournaments on Winni this year, check out the weights. There have been multiple 5's, 6's, and even a 7.5 for lunker. The last team tournament took over 25 lbs to win. Tenth place was almost 20 lbs.

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by MacCTD View Post
    I have a place on Long lake in Harrison ME, the fishing is not very good.
    I have been going to Long Lake every summer for almost the last 20 years. I have a few specific spots where I can usually catch fish. I have much better luck going to Highland Lake.

I no longer fish Long Lake on weekends. The ramp in Harrison is a freaking zoo.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscatfrank View Post
    With all due respect, you have no idea of what you're talking about. BASS Nation has had 3 tournaments on Winni this year, check out the weights. There have been multiple 5's, 6's, and even a 7.5 for lunker. The last team tournament took over 25 lbs to win. Tenth place was almost 20 lbs.
    With all due respect I disagree and feel the same about you regarding you do not know what you are talking about.

14. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Play nice boys
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

15. Member
    I have been going to Long Lake every summer for almost the last 20 years. I have a few specific spots where I can usually catch fish. I have much better luck going to Highland Lake.

I no longer fish Long Lake on weekends. The ramp in Harrison is a freaking zoo.
    Cool, I am about halfway down the lake on the east side, is one of your spots around Cape Monday?, I have heard good things about Highland Lake.

With all due respect I disagree and feel the same about you regarding you do not know what you are talking about.
    I have numbers to back me up, what do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by MacCTD View Post
    Cool, I am about halfway down the lake on the east side, is one of your spots around Cape Monday?, I have heard good things about Highland Lake.
    I have one dock in Monday where I got a 3, 4, and a 5, on three consecutive casts. I also have 2 random rocks that always seem to hold a quality fish. I'm always up there the first two weeks of July. Let me know if you go to Highland and I'll give you some spots.

BTW, I was at a meeting at F&G earlier this year to discuss new permitting procedures. After the meeting I asked them about the condition of Winni and they said it was fine. There are some cyclical changes but the overall status of the fishery was healthy. Who did you talk to?

19. Member
    I have numbers to back me up, what do you have?
    Yup your numbers from the 7-8 T on winni were great, let's recap. 22 dead fish at weigh in, great job. How many died after release? These are quality fish that take a decade or two to get to that weight. And you wonder why many are tired of T's. As the vice president of this club you should be embarrassed.
    What do you expect NHF&G to say about the health of the bass fisheries. This is why nothing will never improve, your side never sees anything wrong while mine does.
    The permit process for NH should mirror what the State of Maine does.
    You are a good guy I am sure so let's simply agree to disagree, tight lines.
    Last edited by Zpilot; 09-17-2018 at 09:59 AM.

20. Member
    I have one dock in Monday where I got a 3, 4, and a 5, on three consecutive casts. I also have 2 random rocks that always seem to hold a quality fish. I'm always up there the first two weeks of July. Let me know if you go to Highland and I'll give you some spots.
    Cool, thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast