Does rain effect 3 liter cowl mod

I was wanting to do these mods to my 2001 250 xb but was wondering if running in a rain storm does the rain water effect anything in the engine. Where does the water go and would it be sucked into the motor, or does it drain out somewhere, just curious about it, Thanks

I wondered the same thing .
    One reason I did not do the mods.... Last thing I need when trying to make it back to the dock in bad weather is a dead motor.

3. Member
    would a vacuum cleaner in a shower get water in it , hmmmmmm
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good question, Joe!

All joking aside, yes, there would be a substantially increased chance of water entering the cowling. And no, we don't want water inside the cowling (that is one of the purposes of the cowling, after all).

All that being said, I have seen a number of engines with the mod done, and have not personally witnessed one that had any significant problem related to water entering the cowling. That does NOT mean that I won't see one next week (actually more likely given the forecast).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    would a vacuum cleaner in a shower get water in it , hmmmmmm
    That is essentially what is happening with the plenum......Sucking in air

6. Member
    Ok, thanks, I just redone complete fuel system, injectors, and all seals and gaskets, and the hardest longest part the reed valves and blocks, it took me over 20 hours to get those reed blocks completely level, what a job but what a difference, well worth the time, runs better than ever, and best idling it ever had, no missing or bogging down on take off anymore, excellent throttle response and hole shot and picked up a few mph and quicker to get to top end, learned a lot on the way from this forum, thanks to all, that's why I was asking about rain when raising intake for more air, it's a 250 xb, used boyesen two stage reeds which looked identical to merc stock, and old reeds did have gaps and chips, rubber blocks had ridges from the old reed outlines