MotorGuide Tour Edition

MotorGuide Tour Edition 82# thrust, variable speed, on low speeds runs fine but medium and higher speeds it lunges back and forth between speeds, where should I start to look to fix this problem.

2. Member
    That is most probably is water intrusion in the motor. It does not take much to cause the motor to act up. There is a module in the motor along with a brush card. If you are not sure how to take it down you should bring it to a repair shop. You could cause damage and added expense.

3. Member
    Thanks Brad, no water intrusion, this is a hand control saltwater edition, I have it apart, the brushes are worn some but look decent. Does not lunge on bench just in the water.

4. Member
    Make sure you clean the brush card with electronic cleaner. CRC QD is what I use. won't damage plastic. Carbon build up will cause this problem too. Brushes should have more than a 1/4" left. If not change the brush card. Also inspect the commutator for any high spots. They will cause excessive brush wear.

5. Member
    Motorguide running erratic without water intrusion would lead me to a bad module. The trolling motor must be reassembled to take module readings for diagnostics.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Thanks John, put a new module in it, just got to try it out now.

7. Member
    Thanks again to John and Brad, the module fixed the problem.