Thread: need setup help

Joe Glazebrook

need setup help

Need help on my 05 intimidator set up. Bought the boat without the motor added a hydro tech modified 250 XS and a 12" atlas jackplate and not getting the numbers expected. Running mid 70,s but boat porpoises pretty bad and has to be run around 6 on the atlas gauge or about 2.50 below the pad. Tried 27 trophy, 28 and 29 bravo. XS,s, 27 and 28 hydromotive quad 4 with all similar results take are give a little on holeshot are WOT. Was wondering if the 12" setback is to much. Also running lithium batteries lightening the boat and additional 200 lbs. Was told this boat should run in the low eighties with no problem. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

2. Member
    I agree that boat should run mid 80's with no problem with a strong motor. It may be a weight issue. The boat is probably trying to get on the running pad and falling off. Try running your jack plate higher. We usually start around 3" below and work up. The lithium batteries could have changed your balance point. Low Slung Dad has that same setup. He will probably jump in and help you out.

3. Member
    I don't have a gauge but I have to keep my water pressure between 12-15(I know Merc recommends no less than 15) but it won't run at +15 if it does it'll chine
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

4. Member
    Joe,

Never had any purposing issues with factory 6" Bob's with 2" spacers. The Merc 2001 225 EFI i ran on it wold carry the WHOLE boat, you could trim out until you couldn't see over the bow.

Sounds like you have too much stern lift.

That boat was a 81.3 mph boat light load, 77-79 tour load two guys with the 225 EFI turning a TRO4-27 6000-6100 rpms.

I did run a 225 pro XS on it in 2008. It was a dog out of the hole AND slower due to the weight and rpm restriction of the Opti.

What rpms are you getting?

5. Member
    What lower unit you trying to run?

It will need some form of a Torque Master.

6. Joe Glazebrook
    Just ordered an atlas 8" JP. Boat currently has a 2?? mercury XS with 30 over teflon pistons, hydro teck cut heads, lightened flywheel and Simon computer has been running between 5850 and 6200 rpms with 27, 28 and 29 bravo xs and hydromotive OB4 and about the same with a 27 trophy. wot 75 to 78 depending on prop but loose as a goose on the pad and hooks hard left when backing off the throttle. Feels like it has plenty to go. Holeshot and midrange is like a rocket just flattens out on wot.

7. Member
    Most Gamblers you can’t chop the gas or it will hook!

I think your rpms are low for that motor on that boat.
    lik I said I was able to hit 6100 on a 2001 stock MERC 225 EFI with a TRO4 -27 powertech prop.

it had more but I needed the 4 blade for handling and hole shot for tidal water.

Balance is your issue... the 29 bravo XS is gonna be best all around prop ... not fastest but all around Best...2” below pad ...
    balance is key...depending upon where ur batteries are you prolly need add water to port livewell even with a partner, definatley when solo...
    regardless of experience with driving other boats, every boat takes a little while to dial in... I don’t think the extra setback was hurting you.. but it does make ur trim even more sensitive....

my dads 2001 intimidator 2000 with dual power poles, with a 2005 250 XS, stock Torquemaster gen 1... 29 xs 6100 rpms at 82.5 everyday loaded 2 people and gas...
    27 trophy took that boat over 84, but constantly cracking blades...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8