Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    My screen doesn't show what type of screw he replaced it with (I was going by others calling it a "hex head" which is bolt head), however, if it is an Allen head (or even torx head) screw it could well be a tapered screw.

BTW, the original screw is 1/4 - 20 x 1/2 --- maybe that .25" is keeping it from tightening all the way. Again, a reason for spending the $ .50 for the correct screw.
    Your screen does not show the OP picture ??

ONCE Again !!
    A lot of these debates/debacles could be avoided if everyone would at least read all the posts. especially if your going to question someone.Don't jump at your first assumption. You might miss something !!
    If you will read the OP's problem-- "The screw won't tighten" ! So if it was 1/4" to long it would bottom out. Not go all the way in as depicted in the first picture and spin..

I suspect the OP'er is like a lot of us. I would have done the same thing-- I'm not going to take the time to look up a 50 cent screw on the computer and wait until next week to get it. And then take the chance you could still get the wrong part.. If I remotely think it can be fixed with a trip to my local store.. I'm going to fix it NOW.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Your screen does not show the OP picture ?? It shows the picture, but it's too dark to tell what type of screw is there.

ONCE Again !!

If you will read the OP's problem-- "The screw won't tighten" ! So if it was 1/4" to long it would bottom out. Not go all the way in as depicted in the first picture and spin.. I did read his post, and the entire thread. At one point he said "When I got a replacement I could only find a hex head. But it is the exact same size. 1/4-20 3/4". Only difference is it is a hex head." I'm finding out that some call a Allen head "hex" head. To me, "hex" is a bolt, not a screw. "Obviously not the exact same size"

I suspect the OP'er is like a lot of us. I would have done the same thing-- I'm not going to take the time to look up a 50 cent screw on the computer and wait until next week to get it. And then take the chance you could still get the wrong part.. If I remotely think it can be fixed with a trip to my local store.. I'm going to fix it NOW.
    Understandably, so
    And how did that work out for him???
    Last edited by Jonestrollingmotor; 09-19-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Waiting for the UPS truck to deliver a 50 cent screw. Then probably send it back thinking it's the wrong one because it won't tighten up either. .
    Had we not tried the POS hex drive non bolt headed 1/4" to long abortion of a screw ---------------- Theres no telling at what point or how many UPS deliveries later we would have figured out the pin was stripped and needed tapped or replaced.
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 09-19-2018 at 09:59 PM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Waiting for the UPS truck to deliver a 50 cent screw. Then probably send it back thinking it's the wrong one because it won't tighten up either. .
    Had we not tried the POS hex drive non bolt headed 1/4" to long abortion of a screw ---------------- Theres no telling at what point or how many UPS deliveries later we would have figured out the pin was stripped and needed tapped or replaced.
    You're absolutely right. You deal with all this frustration instead of contacting an ASC (he may have had one fairly local), ordering $6.60 worth of parts (new pin and both screws with loctite already applied), and if you don't have an ASC local wait for the mail delivery. Yeah, it takes a little longer but a whole lot less frustration and you get the right parts the first time.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

I fail to see where the Op'r was frustrated.
    By his fourth post he was looking at tapping the pin... Appears like he had things figured out long before you got confused about what kind of screw he bought !! (For the record he never called it a BOLT) ..

He could be like me.
    The nearest ASC is a half days drive.. I would have ran a tap through the pin - put some Loctite on that non MK 1/4"-20-3/4" screw . used a hex head to tighten it and went fishing..all in less time than it took to type this. For all you know the OP'r may have already done the same thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12