Question Minn-Kota Ultrex, Spot Lock - Am I don't something wrong?

Set-up my Ultrex per the instructions, except indexing. I liked the position from the box, pedal flat.

Anyhow when i attempt to use spotlock with the wind or current at my back, it freaks out and exits out of spotlock. If I am nose in to the wind/current it's fine. Is this common?

2. Member
    Make sure the trolling motor is able to spin 360degrees without binding up. If you have a transducer cable or any other cable come up the shaft, it could be causing it to be tight. Also, make sure nothing under the footpedal or in the way of the footpedal.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Spot Lock will always find the easiest point for the least movement. So, it will always point into the wind or current whichever is the strongest. If the wind is at your back, it will swing around to point into the wind. You must make sure it's able to move freely to that point. Any resistance and it will drop out of Spot Lock. Make sure if you've add a cable on the shaft for Transducer, speaker, etc that you make a loop to allow the TM head to turn fully each way without and resistance.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    Check and check. Motor can turn the full 380 degrees, uninhibited and the pedal is clear of obstructions

Quote Originally Posted by RobChik View Post
    Set-up my Ultrex per the instructions, except indexing. I liked the position from the box, pedal flat.

Anyhow when i attempt to use spotlock with the wind or current at my back, it freaks out and exits out of spotlock. If I am nose in to the wind/current it's fine. Is this common?
    Mine will do it on occasion. I try to set when nose first or swing around before setting but sometimes circumstances don't allow.
    IMO when conditions are right it will kick itself out thinking it has encountered an obstruction when in fact it "freaks out" and swngs around to fast and to hard.