Anyone fish the old strip mine pits?

Spent a lot of time fishing the old Ponderosa and Mazonia clubs out by South Wilmington and Essex from 84 - 92, any of you guys fish them now? Wondering how they have held up.

Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Spent a lot of time fishing the old Ponderosa and Mazonia clubs out by South Wilmington and Essex from 84 - 92, any of you guys fish them now? Wondering how they have held up.
    Some of them can be good...usually the ones without a boat ramp. Tournaments have really taken its toll on those lakes that do have ramps...but you can have the occasional good day out there.

3. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I use to Fish Fossil Rock campground and next door >Coal City Dump pits when I was 12-18- late 70's to 85. Back then very little pressure and trolling motors were 17-24lbs. Nobody flipped or threw frogs. We would sit on bank with bobbers or troll pre rigged worms very slow with bullet weight in front of small swivel with a small piece of crawler on back hook. It would be something to go back in time with my 16fter with 24v maxxum and some bass rods-flippin and night fishing.