New Batteries for 2019

I am going to buy all new batteries for 2019. I have a 36v system for my Ultrex, and will need a new starting battery as well. What are your recommendations? I was looking at an Odyssey cranking/starting for about $250-300. Anyone have experience with these? Thanks for any help!

There's a thread about 3 down from this one that was started this morning on exactly this topic. Many more in this forum recently that have discussed the same thing.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=931052
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

X2 Power are the best batteries period. 6 year non prorated warranty. Somewhat expensive, very heavy AGM that’s built like a tank.. Best thing is there stores are almost in every decent size town.
    https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...1m/sli31agmdpm
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

4. Member
    IMO, the Northstar/X2 and the Odyssey 2150 are both beasts, and probably the two highest quality crank batteries around for our style of boat. If I were going AGM, I likely would go with the Northstar simply because it is not as fussy for charging equipment. Only certain chargers have the correct profile for charging the Odyssey. The Odyssey is the old Sears PM 1, and speculation is that Sears stopped carrying them because so many used the incorrect charger, and therefore user error, but they brought them back for warranty claim. Odyssey lists their approved chargers on their site.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    I vote the batteries + bulbs x2 31 series agm for cranking I'm still running interstates on my trolling motor

6. Member
    I have the x2 power 31 agm for my cranking battery and the sams club Duracell 31 agm for my trolling batteries. I've been very happy with these batteries the two years that I have owned them, If they can last me another 2-3 years then I'm definitely buying these batteries again when time to replace them.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

I’ve had the Odessy as my cranking battery and the Sam club batteries for my TM.

Perfect set up
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

8. Member
    i m running a 31 agm battery to crank and power
    using 29 interstate flooded batteries for TM
    but middle battery is becoming a little sluggish and will be replaced in the spring

9. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

Have (4) 31 series AGM X2's in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisansilver View Post
    X2 Power are the best batteries period. 6 year non prorated warranty. Somewhat expensive, very heavy AGM that’s built like a tank.. Best thing is there stores are almost in every decent size town.
    https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...1m/sli31agmdpm

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

NorthStar Grp31 AGM dual purpose for my Cranking battery and PM1 GRP 31 AGM TM batts til they die. Last set (Cabelas Grp 31 no longer offered but made by NorthStar) lasted 9 years. The last I bought direct from NorthStar a couple of months ago for $399.99, TMD no tax no shipping, ordered 10 :00 Mon had 4:00 Tues UPS no problem.

11. Member
    Do yourself a favor a go for 3 Battleborn Lithiums for your troller. Lightweight, tons of power, charge perfectly with most chargers and hopefully last for years. I put 3 in my boat and am very impressed. I fish heavy current a lot and kill group 29s in about 6 or 7 hrs. Same conditions with Battleborn and I can go 2 days without charging, I know because I spaced out plugging in one evening and they went strong all the next day. Impressive!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    Do yourself a favor a go for 3 Battleborn Lithiums for your troller. Lightweight, tons of power, charge perfectly with most chargers and hopefully last for years. I put 3 in my boat and am very impressed. I fish heavy current a lot and kill group 29s in about 6 or 7 hrs. Same conditions with Battleborn and I can go 2 days without charging, I know because I spaced out plugging in one evening and they went strong all the next day. Impressive!!
    I just put 3 Battleborn Lithiums and cannot believe how much boat performance I got back! At 30 lbs ea - took a ton of weight out of the back of the boat!! And yes they are very strong and haven't taken them down past 50% in a tourney yet.

13. mikesxpress
    Ran Odyssey PM 2150's prior to Sears selling the same battery as the PM1's. I have 4 PM1's that are going to hit the 6 year mark and will need replaced. I am awaiting a detailed copy of the Northstar Group 31 X2 battery warranty to compare with the Odyssey warranty as both have like specifications. The actual warranty will be the tie breaker. I learned along time ago to buy these top tier batteries direct from the OEM vs retailers as that eliminates "battery bubba" at the store from interfering with any warranty claim issues. Batteries + is notorious for this as your counter guy was working stocking shelves at Ya'll-Mart the month before. The previous Sears PM1 warranty exchange was not an issue the one time I did need to replace a battery but that option is no longer available.

The lithium technology needs to advance some more and cost needs to drop considerably before I could warrant going that route. It might be there by the time I cycle another group of these AGM"s?

Last edited by mikesxpress; 09-25-2018 at 07:05 AM.