Experienced rod builders...... ??

So I built a rod that I really like, however, I made the handle a bit too long. The reel seat I put on has the exposed rod in front of the trigger so it’s as far down the rod as it will go. What’s my next best option? Cut 2” off the butt and put a new cap on?
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

2. Member
    It’s a carbon fiber butt and eva foam butt cap. If there is a way I can twist off and re-use, I’d love to be able to.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

3. Member
    It’s a little work but you could build another handle altogether on some carbon fiber tube. Then cut your blank in front of the original handle and “splice” the blank and new handle together.

Otherwise yes you can shorten the rod from the butt. The main problem is you lose overall length. With the method above you have more freedom to adjust your length.

4. Member
    Based on your second post I'm guessing it's a split rear grip? Anyhow, I would go the route you described in your initial post. As far as being able to reuse the existing carbon fiber butt and EVA butt cap go ...... I would say that a best case scenario would be that it would be doubtful, at best.

If it's the type of carbon fiber grip I am thinking of, it's got a foam core. Depending on what kind of epoxy was used to attach the grip, you may be able to apply heat using a heat gun and soften the epoxy enough for it to break loose. That's the major part of the battle in saving it for reuse. The next part of the battle is whether or not you'll be able to pull it off the end. Most likely the butt grip was put on from the tip and slid down the blank into position. Depending on how the grip was reamed to fit, whether or not it was a tight fit when slid down, or if it were somewhat loose, will determine if you can slide it off the butt. If it was a loose fit and you can get the epoxy to soften enough (and don't over do the heat when trying it) to let it slide off, you're in business. If not, you'll have to get a new butt and butt cap.

It may not be that hard of a job at all. It all depends on what kind of epoxy they used to glue the grip on.

What is the length of the rear grip? (assuming split grip) If you take a miter saw, cut in front of the rear grip, would that be the length you need? If so, take a miter saw, tape up the blank near the cut and cut it. That'll leave your rear grip with a tube still in it. Take a drill bit on a drill press, drill the tube out of the butt grip. Then if the bore is too big (it will be), take a poly arbor and fit it to the bore with epoxy. Now ream to the id you need. Use small masking tape arbor and slide from the backend. Use a winding check or epoxy ramp to clean up the end on the blank.

the carbon grips you have on it, be careful adding heat. If they are the top epoxy covered grips, you'll mess you top finish up before you loosen the epoxy bonding to the rod. If it is the uncoated CF grips, try heat at your own risk. I am not sure if the glue that hold it will mess up, plus if you get it hot enough to break it loose from the rod, I'm not sure how you twist without the cf twisting also because the glue holding them will also be more liquid and not set.

If it is a full length grip, cut it about 1/2" longer than you want, buy a cheap butt cap you like and form a tenon on the end of the full grip to fit it.

6. Member
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

7. Member
    If it were mine, i would cut the 2 inches out between the two handle pieces somewhere. Plug the the two pieces with an inner sleeve , then do wither a decorative wrap or solid wrap of black thread over the space between the two handle parts. You could also do an oversleeve with a black piece of scrap blank cut to fit.

8. Member
    A big duh on my part (forehead smack) I didn't think about the epoxy holding the sleeve sleeve to the foam core coming loose as well. Everyone is giving you good ideas, but if it were me I'd just buy a new butt grip and butt cap. It would be way easier. The grips aren't that expensive.

http://www.mudhole.com/CFX-Composite..._grip_length=1

Throw in another $2 or so for a butt cap, and a winding check, and you're set.

9. Member
    Nice looking rod. With all that you have done so far, I'm with the idea of removing the existing butt grip and cap, buying new and replacing, after determining how much shorter you want the handle.

10. Member
    I wanna give an update here:
    I took my heat gun on a low setting and aimed direct heat just the butt cap for a bit, and with a towel, I grabbed the butt cap and simply twisted off. I cleaned up the end, cut off 2.75" and re-installed the same butt cap.

It is still in the drying stage but I will be able to try it out this weekend. I really think it will have a whole new feel.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

11. Member
    Nice ....