USA Freedom seeds...

Loaded up several hundred 45 ACP rounds last night in preparation for a long weekend of shooting with a great friend of mine coming up... Now I need to catch up on all of the other calibers! Anyone else cast and roll their own?

2. Member
    I haven't shot a factory round in 35 years, but I quit casting when my son was born. Didn't want the hot pot and lead fumes around. Now a guy I shoot with molds commercially. I can't scrounge lead and mold for what he charges, so I sold all my molding supplies.

3. Banned
    Never cast my own, but do my own loading for the old Series 70 Colt 1911. Also load for the Ruger SP101 Match Champion, .38/.357. How do you like the coated bullets? Been thinking about getting some, do they really help with stopping the lead build up in the barrel?
    I use an old Lyman Spar-T to load with, if I start shooting more, I may upgrade to a Dillon.

4. Member
    I've been loading my own for about 35 years and casting my own for about 30. When I started I could get lead wheelweights for 5 cents a pound with no zinc or steel in them. If I had known the future I would have bought tons of them!
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

5. Member
    In reference to the coated bullets. I loaded and shot soe sized and lubed bullets over a chrono and then shot the same bullets that were sized and coated and got about 30 fps more out of the coated bullets. Same powder charge. That shows me that the coated bullets are slicker and pass through the barrel easier. Haven't shot enough to see if they leave less leading, but if they are slicker, they should leave less lead behind.

Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    Never cast my own, but do my own loading for the old Series 70 Colt 1911. Also load for the Ruger SP101 Match Champion, .38/.357. How do you like the coated bullets? Been thinking about getting some, do they really help with stopping the lead build up in the barrel?
    I use an old Lyman Spar-T to load with, if I start shooting more, I may upgrade to a Dillon.
    LOVE the coated bullets and I get virtually no leading if I don't push them too fast. I use the shake-n-bake method to coat mine and the best powder I've found so far is the Eastwood Ford light blue, it does an amazing job! Best way to learn to coat is to look up Elvisammo on youtube and watch some of his later videos... I use his low temp method which is pile a large amount in a basket and bake for 14 minutes @ 250* in a toaster oven.... Works great! I shoot quite a bit and still use my ole trusty Lee LoadMaster… I'm probably approaching 30,000 rounds through it... It pretty much works flawlessly and gives you several features at a third of the price, like auto advancing shellplate and a case feeder... I'd love to have a Dillon, but I'm going to stick with ole red and hope fully rock it for several more years and use my Rockchucker IV for the larger rifle stuff...

7. Banned
    Nice looking bullets!

I have the Remington R1S, 45 love the gun, fits my hand like a glove!