Thread: New smoker!

New smoker!

I just got a Weber Smokey Mountain as a birthday present from my wife (yes my wife is awesome!). This is my first time ever using a smoker so I need some input. What do you guys do to season your smoker initially? What kind of charcoal do you guys use? Where do you usually get your wood from and how finely do you break it up?...I assume it goes directly in with the coals?

I am sure I will have plenty of questions but might as well start here.

2. Member
    Great choice. I love my 22.5" WSM. Gets a ton of use over the years and is very predictable. Check Virtual Weber Bullet for additional tips. Tons of info there.

Bacon or pork fat
    Kingsford Blue
    Local AZ oak

http://virtualweberbullet.com/

First cook load it up with chicken thighs and let it roll
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

4. Member
    I have 2 of them and use nothing but regular Kingsford in them.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

5. Member
    I’ve never had one but would think lump would be your friend.

6. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Love my WSM. Use regular kingsford. Definitely check out the virtual bullet, it will help you get started and avoid mistakes as you start to use it. Enjoy

I will third the Virtual Bullet. The best source for information on the Weber torpedo. I always used Kingsford back in the day when I was learning the Weber. I used to make killer brisket in the Weber. Load it up and make a 121 hour smoke. Nowadays I would lean toward using a good grade of lump charcoal. Mind you I don't currently have a Weber Smokey Mountain but knowing what I know now about smoking the lump charcoal is superior in every way over briquets.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

8. Member
    Yes Virtual Bullet is a great source of information. I have an 18 and 14 but also a 22 and 26 kettle. I'd love to have a 22 WSM but after just buying a Slow n Sear for the 26 kettle I think I'm covered lol. Not to mention the Weber gas grill. As you can see I'm a little Weber biased. If you don't have one get a good thermometer like the Maverick XR-50, I only have a Maverick for grill temp and a cheap Weber thermometer for meat but I plan on the XR-50 soon.