Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    I tried the needle threader on a small #1 Gammy finesse. If I held the eye between my finger tips, I could put the threader through with my eyes closed.

I use a old bobbin threader from my fly tying days

3. Member
    Go to a pharmacy and pick up a bridge flosser. It's made to get floss under a bridge. Looks like a needle but it's made of soft plastic with a big eyelet. About 3 inches long.
    Very easy to pull line thru.
    Last edited by Jaydbee; 09-13-2018 at 09:06 PM.

4. Member
    Fisheyes by Foster Grant

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I have a pair of cheap reading glasses from walmart. They are basic magnifying glasses.
    This I buy the 3 pack and keep them in the boat, shop, garage, anywhere I think I might need to see something in detail and this especially includes tying on baits.

A clinch knot is the easiest to tie under low light or difficulty seeing. Put the line thru the hook/lure, make a loop, hold the line and the end between your thumb and fore finger, twist the hook/lure 4-5 times and then take the tag end back thru the loop at the OUTSIDE of the hook/lure and pull tight. You can also do an improved clinch knot by also taking the tag end back thru the loop after going thru the loop at the hook/lure !! One of the strongest and easiest knots to tie.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Getting through the eyelet will be an issue, because even with a threader, you still have it get it in the eyelet. But with a threader, you have some extra room to work with.

As for a knot, go to the 4 minute mark in this video. If palomar does not work, this may be one to try.

8. Member
    I'm 79 years old, and have MD, I use the Palomar knot and the Jimmy Houston knot, the Houston knot is the easier of the 2 for me. You only have to run the line through the hook eye once, I hold the the line between my thumb and middle finger, and catch the line coming out the eye with my thumb and index finger, then lay the line back over my index finger, and wrap 5 times around the double lines, then tag end through the loop, moisten ,and cinch down. You'll feel a pop if it's tied right. Just Google Jimmy Houston knot, it's pretty simple, and holds good.

Perhaps he should find a fishing partner who will take 30 seconds to tie his bait on for him.

P01135809

10. Member
    The needle threader should do the trick with a pair of readers. I have the Costa's with the readers built in, and carry readers in both cars and another pair in the boat. I get them at the Dollar Tree.

Thanks for all the suggestions. With Macular Degeneration the issue is not really magnifying the subject matter. He has had and bought plenty of devices. It's hard to explain but you actually lose your vision with darkness on the peripheral areas.

I saw a coup!e of things that might really help though. The typro looks like that little funnel might help guide the line through to the eyelet easier. Also the dental bridge thing might help. I actually have some of them myself I can give him. The needle threader might make it easier too....

By the way, he fishes by himself a lot and always has so there is not always a partner there to help out.

Thanks to everybody for suggestions.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

12. Member
    I use a SIL knot, never fails.

13. Member
    Time to teach a younger guy to fish (with you).

14. Member
    if he likes the swivels maybe look at the Norman speed clips

15. Member
    I had to buy some Costa C-Mates. They have a small reader portion at the bottom. You can get 1.25 and up.

16. Member
    It was easier for me to help my old buddy out with his knot tying. Instead of him fussing with tying on hooks and baits I took a minute to do it for him. Then he and I wouldn't worry about him losing a hook or bait or fish because he didn't get the knot done correctly. He had always helped me out with anything I needed so I was glad to do it for him so he could fish and enjoy himself. He is not able to fish anymore but I have never forgot those days with him at the lake and fishing. It is not nice to think about but we will all get there sooner than we want. Hopefully I am able to get on the water until my last day.

Go to a fly shop and get a couple of their threaders. If you try to tie a tiny little fly hook without one, it will be frustrating...the threaders work on small eyes and large ones. I have several sizes in a little fly box that will allow me to thread from 2# leader up to 20#.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

18. Member
    Use a snap?

19. Member
    I have had success with a “daiici seko knot assist”, helps hold the line(s)/lures a proper distance from trifocals.

20. Member

One of these is ideal. Provides a bright light and 5 x magnification. Doesn’t require him to take glasses off and on. Leaves both hands free to tie. Mounts to the side of the console where he would sit to tie anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast