Lake Walk-in-Water Question

Is the public ramp on Walk-in-Water open?

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I haven’t heard that the ramp on Weohyakopka (spelling from memory) has been closed for any reason. Go to FWC.com, they have a public ramp locator on their site.

Havent fished there here in a while but fishing the offshore weed lines was a lot of fun back when I used to go. That lake has some hawgs in it! Good luck!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I haven’t heard that the ramp on Weohyakopka (spelling from memory) has been closed for any reason. Go to FWC.com, they have a public ramp locator on their site.

Havent fished there here in a while but fishing the offshore weed lines was a lot of fun back when I used to go. That lake has some hawgs in it! Good luck!
    unfortunately since the hurricane in 06 there has been no offshore weed lines. They keep it killed.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    unfortunately since the hurricane in 06 there has been no offshore weed lines. They keep it killed.
    Was wondering about that. Thanks for the info. That used to be one of my favorite hydrilla pitching lakes many years ago.

6. Member
    Prior to the hurricanes my buddy and I fished it at least once week for almost two years.

It was chok full of hydrilla and chok full of bass. Easiest fishing I have ever experienced. Slow day - 25 a piece, average day - 50 a piece, good days - as many as 100 a piece. Averaged 2.5 to 3 with usually a couple going over 5 every trip. It was utterly amazing !

Hurricanes killed the hydrilla, which, at least for us, killed the fishing. Then again we got kinda spoiled.

7. Member
    I remember plenty of 100 fish days by noon time out there. I haven't been in ages though.
    Troll lightly and carry a big flippin stick!!!

8. Member
    Hurricanes always change a lakes environment. It stirs up sediment, silt, dislodges vegetation changing the entire underwater environment, oxygen levels, ph levels, clear water to murky water. It didn't remove the fish, it relocated them. It takes time to find the fish, but once you do the fishing is on. I have had this same problem on lakes I fish and the fishing is usually slow for a few months. I realize that a weekend fisherman has problems finding fish or changing old habits; but you have to adapt to the changed environment.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-47 View Post
    Hurricanes always change a lakes environment. It stirs up sediment, silt, dislodges vegetation changing the entire underwater environment, oxygen levels, ph levels, clear water to murky water. It didn't remove the fish, it relocated them. It takes time to find the fish, but once you do the fishing is on. I have had this same problem on lakes I fish and the fishing is usually slow for a few months. I realize that a weekend fisherman has problems finding fish or changing old habits; but you have to adapt to the changed environment.
    Oh we adapted all right. After 4 trips with minimal results we said to heck with it at least until the grass grows back. Just went snook fishing instead and was/am doing quite well with that. Also fish a much smaller, lesser known lake. Quantity, not as good as WIW, but quality is remarkable. Just keep plugging along.

10. Member
    took 15.33 to win our club tournement this weekend all his fish came out of canal system .had 20 boats

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Oh my...I’m getting old! I really didn’t realize it had been that long since I had fished that lake. I was just thinking about this thread and how I was going to go try some of my old spots. I guess I should have known FWC had seen the weeds and killed them all. It’s a damn shame!

My last trip there was a fall trip where it rained from the moment we put in, but pitching the grass lines we boated so many fish over 5lbs and one double digit fish. I can’t even remember how many we lost that day. It makes me sick to know that’s gone.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV