Thread: Steering wheel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steering wheel

I need to replace the steering wheel on my 08 210 Elite. Would be nice to find the exact replacement but I'm not real optimistic. Does anyone happen to know who provided those steering wheels ? I may have to go with an aftermarket but prefer not to. First time I've ever had a steering wheel need replacing. Headed to the land of honey do and will check back later.
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Member
    I have one from a 1999 203, just missing the center cap

3. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    What happened to the original, getfished?

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    I need to replace the steering wheel on my 08 210 Elite. Would be nice to find the exact replacement but I'm not real optimistic. Does anyone happen to know who provided those steering wheels ?
    I'm in the same shape with my 07 210. I highly suspect that they could have been Teleflex or SeaStar, but not for sure. I see some similar but missing the aluminum inserts mine has. Mine was missing one of the inserts when I got the boat and the other has since come off, but I still have it. It's similar to the Donzi pic below, but I'm confident that's not it since it's a $225.00 wheel ...

Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    Should be a manufacturer name stamped on the back of steering wheel...at least there is on my 1989 and 1995 they where made in Italy and they made several steering wheels for sports cars.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    What happened to the original, getfished?
    One of the 3 arms going out from the center has detached from the outer ring. It started as the rubber or vinyl splitting and then it just got worse. Last night I realized the arm had completely sepatated from the wheel. Not good.
    GETFISHED !!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
    Should be a manufacturer name stamped on the back of steering wheel...at least there is on my 1989 and 1995 they where made in Italy and they made several steering wheels for sports cars.
    OK thanks. Guess I'll go ahead and pull it. Be nice if got lucky and could find the same wheel without having to sign over my firstborn.
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    I'm in the same shape with my 07 210. I highly suspect that they could have been Teleflex or SeaStar, but not for sure. I see some similar but missing the aluminum inserts mine has. Mine was missing one of the inserts when I got the boat and the other has since come off, but I still have it. It's similar to the Donzi pic below, but I'm confident that's not it since it's a $225.00 wheel ...

That wheel looks pretty much exactly like mine except that mine has the champion logo in the center. Suppose it would fit in that wheel ?
    GETFISHED !!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    I have one from a 1999 203, just missing the center cap
    Does it look like the one TX Champ posted ?
    GETFISHED !!!

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    That wheel looks pretty much exactly like mine except that mine has the champion logo in the center. Suppose it would fit in that wheel ?
    I'm sure it would ... the screw pattern would be something else to check out. No way I'm gonna fork over $225 for a steering wheel. Rather look for one someone has swapped out. Wife always tells me I'm a tight azz ...

11. Member
    06 198 wheel...screw pattern is different...…I've been looking for one with he same screw pattern, no luck...

Make..,

Pretty sure it is an OBA FANTASY NAVY MARINE-N
    C35014420NA
    Last edited by Ed R; 09-13-2018 at 06:20 PM.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

12. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Mine has a screw pattern like the one I posted. Is that OBA?

13. Member
    Reggie, I'm not sure that Donzi and OBA are the same, but they sure look alike.
    Ed R.

14. Member
    You can get a new hub with an aftermarket wheel. No need to worry about screw patterns

15. Member
    The wheel that Reggie posted and the wheel that is on my 06 198 are directional wheels, for cable steering. If you have hydraulic steering you will want a non directional wheel, as hydraulic does not always return the wheel to center.

non directional wheel.

Ed R.

16. Member
    Interesting comments. Good folks here on the Champ forum. I never thought there was such a distinction regarding steering wheels. Right this minute I'm not sure what the distinction or difference is. However , I do have hydraulic steering and my wheel is almost exactly like the one Tx Champ posted. Looks like the same screw pattern also. Mine has 5 alan head screws. It may not matter if I get a new hub to go with it. Gonna have to pull mine looks like to see if I can determine who manufactured it.
    GETFISHED !!!

17. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    Reggie, I'm not sure that Donzi and OBA are the same, but they sure look alike.
    Yeah, two different manufacturers and bolt pattern in the wheel itself. Definitely will take a look at the back of mine next time I have it here at the house to see if the mfg ID is on the back without removing it.

Here's a shot of mine ... not very good, but all I could find in my boat pix. When this shot was taken, the top aluminum insert was still on there. Bottom one is missing. I have hydraulic steering so no idea why they would use a directional wheel

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 09-13-2018 at 10:13 PM.

18. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    My 198 also has a directional wheel, tho I have hydraulic steering. Go figure....

19. Member
    Some years ago I mounted a button type tilt n trim to the spoke of my steering wheel. The cable, over the course of a day or so, would wrap it self around the steering column. After 4 or 5 times of removing it to un-wrap the cord I figured out what was happening . With hydraulic steering the wheel just keeps turning 360 and not returning to center. I finally changed to a column mounted tilt n trim.

Ed R.

20. Member
    No need to worry about the ChampioN logo or the center cap retrofit. C&O has you covered. ChampioN made a small sticker to past over the center logo.

C&O also has the center caps, but you will need to measure the center hole correctly..... Someday I will get the wrong cap back to C&O, with the correct measurements.

Ed R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast