Trailer Brake Option Question

Options for brakes, I’ve had boat trailers w/out brakes. I’ve had dual axle trailers with surge brakes on the rear axle. What are the opinions on the electric/hydraulic brakes? Is having brakes on both axles vs rear axle worth the expense?

97 TR21 99 225EFI S/N OG885575

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Some states require brakes on all axles and some don’t. With torsion axles, the brakes go on the front axle normally when only one axle has brakes.

When you say “electric/hydraulic” do you mean electric vs. hydraulic or what’s commonly called electric over hydraulic brakes?

Electric brakes have to be drums, which require adjusting. Electric over hydraulic brakes require the addition of a $600 actuator to the trailer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Some states require brakes on all axles and some don’t. With torsion axles, the brakes go on the front axle normally when only one axle has brakes.

When you say “electric/hydraulic” do you mean electric vs. hydraulic or what’s commonly called electric over hydraulic brakes?

Electric brakes have to be drums, which require adjusting. Electric over hydraulic brakes require the addition of a $600 actuator to the trailer.
    Yes, electric brakes vs Hydraulic.

My current trailer has surge brakes on the rear axle. The person I talked to steered me towards disc on both axles. But stopped short of suggesting electric or surge. Electric is the standard they use.
    I have no experience with the electric at all. Too me the surge brake option would be more user friendly. But figured I’d ask the folks who have newer trailers.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Yes, electric brakes vs Hydraulic.

My current trailer has surge brakes on the rear axle. The person I talked to steered me towards disc on both axles. But stopped short of suggesting electric or surge. Electric is the standard they use.
    I have no experience with the electric at all. Too me the surge brake option would be more user friendly. But figured I’d ask the folks who have newer trailers.
    I much prefer surge brakes on a small boat trailer like a bass boat.

Electric brakes have to be drum brakes, which is a big negative for them, and if you don't already have it you need a ~$140 brake controller to use them.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I much prefer surge brakes on a small boat trailer like a bass boat.

Electric brakes have to be drum brakes, which is a big negative for them, and if you don't already have it you need a ~$140 brake controller to use them.
    Thanks for the input, looks like the surge brake it is... I was leaning that way but wanted some more input on the 5e electric as I’ve never dealt with them....

I agree with you about the surge being more user friendly.
    IMO electric drum brakes have no place on a boat trailer that is submerged in water then may sit for months to rust. There are some who will disagree with that.. However there is a reason you don't find electric drum brakes on any new major brand of bass boats.
    I Have pulled some big gooseneck trailers with the electric over hydraulic disc brakes and they are sweet.. Cost more - but so nice to be able to apply trailer brakes only in some situations.

7. Member
    Of all the systems I have used and worked on the surge/disk have been the best and most trouble free. I just purchased a 24' 14k tilt deck and have to replace the junk never adjust brakes with a set of standard ones just to get them to work and not overadjust. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Of all the systems I have used and worked on the surge/disk have been the best and most trouble free. I just purchased a 24' 14k tilt deck and have to replace the junk never adjust brakes with a set of standard ones just to get them to work and not overadjust. CJ
    Pretty easy decision so far lol...

Thanks for the input fellas...