Banned

Panoptic Livescope image backwards??

So installed the Panoptix today. and except for the fact I'm already tired of tripping over the black box, everything looked really good. I'm a little confused though because my images is backwards. So basically when I have the trolling motor pointed forward looking behind the boat. My installer went with me and we pulled out the manual just to make sure that we had the transducer pointed the proper way. When we got back to my house we once again checked to make sure that everything was installed correctly as far as the transducer goes.

So is there a setting in the software that needs to be changed? He was going to download the manual and read over it but I told him I just post here because I knew you guys would know.

Let me add that when rotating the transducer into Downsview and back into forward view everything works fine.

The transducer is mounted on the barrel of the motor. I can't mounted on the trolling motor shaft because it would be in the way of my 360. I get no interference when the trolling motor is running.

More info ...... I just watched the Garmin support video and I'm sure the transducer is mounted correctly now.

Thanks for your help
    Pfisher
    Last edited by pfisher; 09-12-2018 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Added information

2. Member
    This may not be exact but you'll find it.
    From the LiveScope Forward Screen
    Menu->Sonar Setup->Installation->Flipped ON/OFF
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    This may not be exact but you'll find it.
    From the LiveScope Forward Screen
    Menu->Sonar Setup->Installation->Flipped ON/OFF
    I think we tried that but I'll make sure this weekend.

We sat and watched a school of fish bust up bait about 12 feet deep. They swam down and the bait regrouped. The fish came up and busted them again. My installer has installed and seem everything BUt he was like a kid today..... lol

4. Member
    Turn AHRS off. It's no good when the transducer is mounted on the torpedo of the TM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    The flip worked for me LOL. I was really scratching me head the first time out.

6. Banned
    Didnt know there was a flip feature. So if the transducer is pointed to the back you can flip in the menu and look forward with the transducer pointed backwards.? Cant see how that could work.? What am I missing.?

7. Member
    No. The LVS32 has three arrays of elements. You have to be looking at the the pics in the install instructions to see the point of the flip. Port and starboard mounting requires the arrays to point and perform differently. Either way it is still mounted facing forward.

Turn AHRS off. It's no good when the transducer is mounted on the torpedo of the TM.
    Leonard, are you possibly thinking about the compass behavior instead of the AHRS? The AHRS should work fine.

pfisher, do you have the AHRS on or off? Please try it with AHRS on.
    Garmin Pro Team

9. Member
    Todd. Right. Sorry.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Leonard, are you possibly thinking about the compass behavior instead of the AHRS? The AHRS should work fine.

pfisher, do you have the AHRS on or off? Please try it with AHRS on.
    I'll give that a shot next time out. What exactly is it?

I called Garmin today and they wanted pictures of the install so I sent them. He wouldn't really comment until he saw the pictures. I'm sure they get a lot of bad installs on this one....lol. Mine is correct though.

11. Member
    I'm not sure I understand your first post except that you thought it was pointing backwards. Here is an easy test. Go to an area where the bank drops off on at least a moderate incline. Position the boat in deep water. Point the trolling motor towards the bank. You should see the incline of the bottom rise as the distance increases. Now turn the motor to point into the open water. You should not see the incline. All this is assuming the transducer is oriented for Forward viewing.

You can do the same thing if the transducer is oriented for LiveScope Down. Here you won't have a right or wrong view. It's a matter of preference of what you want to show on the left side and right side of the screen. If you don't like it, do the flipped thing in the software.

Now contradicting my previous post, I don't think the flipped affects the performance when you are using LiveScope Forward. I think internally it senses what it needs to do and does it. It's been a while. My old age amnesia is acting up and it's been a while since I installed mine. I've moved it a lot from the shaft to torpedo and back and the compass pointing arrow is affected by the torpedo mount but not the shaft mount.

12. Banned
    I'm not sure I understand your first post except that you thought it was pointing backwards. Here is an easy test. Go to an area where the bank drops off on at least a moderate incline. Position the boat in deep water. Point the trolling motor towards the bank. You should see the incline of the bottom rise as the distance increases. Now turn the motor to point into the open water. You should not see the incline. All this is assuming the transducer is oriented for Forward viewing.

You can do the same thing if the transducer is oriented for LiveScope Down. Here you won't have a right or wrong view. It's a matter of preference of what you want to show on the left side and right side of the screen. If you don't like it, do the flipped thing in the software.

Now contradicting my previous post, I don't think the flipped affects the performance when you are using LiveScope Forward. I think internally it senses what it needs to do and does it. It's been a while. My old age amnesia is acting up and it's been a while since I installed mine. I've moved it a lot from the shaft to torpedo and back and the compass pointing arrow is affected by the torpedo mount but not the shaft mount.
    Even quicker is throw a crank bait and see which direction it comes from. That is exactly what happened and my installer picked up on it. I would still be trying to see it on the screen...... lol

So we get an e-mail back today in response to the picture of the mounted transducer that I sent them. Remember, the customer service rep woul It'sdn't even talk to me until I sent the picture. So he said that the transducer is mounted backwards and it had to go on the port side of the trolling motor. Of course anyone that had ever mounted a transducer of any description on a trolling motor would know that's not possible since occasionally even wires have to be run up either side of the shaft. So after a few choice words my installer pulls out his cell phone and calls Garmin dealer tech support, which apparently is different than the tech support I called, and explained to the guy that someone just told me my panoptix had to be mounted to the port side of the trolling motor. After a few back-and-forth moments we think may be the software versions are in-compatible even though I was told they were. So here's to hoping after software update things will be correct.

And the dealer tech support person was going to contact the "normal" tech support person and make sure he never told anyone else that again.

13. Banned

Thanks for clarifying Leonard. Didnt seem possible to me.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Thanks for clarifying Leonard. Didnt seem possible to me.
    The flip didn't work in my case. The dealer tech guy wasn't sure what it was exactly. He said they normally take one to the water and play with it but hadn't made it yet with Livescope.

15. Banned
    Got it all set now. Updated the software and set AHRS on with flip off.

Thanks
    pfish