Thread: POWER LOSS

POWER LOSS

1997 MERCURY 225 SERIAL # OG529725 PROMBLEM IS BOAT WORKS HARD TO GET ON PAD BUT DOES .. ONCE ON PAD, JUST AS BOAT LEVELS OUT I LOSE POWER LOTS OF POWER AS IF I HAVE HALF THE POWER . THANKS IN ADVANCED!!!

2. Member
    Going to need more info, what is maintenance history, any alarms, have you had it checked for codes, etc.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have you checked out the Fuel Lines & Performance Problems thread, in the FAQ Section?

Items recommended there would be a good starting point...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    OK LET ME BACK UP A FEW STEPS. COUPLE TRIPS BACK MY BOAT WAS RUNNING LETS SAY 90 PERCENT. MADE A RUN TO A SPOT AND BOAT WOULD NOT START AFTER 15-20 MINUTES OF FISHING . I WAS TOWED IN TOOK BOAT TO LOCAL SHOP THEY HOOKED UP FUEL PRESSURE READER AND TURNED THE KEY AND SHE FIRED RIGHT UP. WENT BACK ON THE WATER THAT DAY AND TOOK IT EASY NO PROMBLEMS. THE DAY AFTER I WAS RUNNING THE BOAT PRETTY GOOD AND LETS SAY 10 MINUTES DURING THE RUN MY BOAT STOP RUNNING AS IF THE POWER CORD WAS CUT. SO SPUTTERING JUST DONE. COULD NOT RESTART THE BOAT AND WAS TOWED IN AGAIN WENT TO SAME LOCAL SHOP SAME DEAL SHE FIRED RIGHT UP. OF COURSE COULD NOT DUPLICATE.. SHOP THINKS IT IS ELECTRICAL. LEANED TOWARDS WIRING HARNESS AT THIS TIME. DURING BOTH TOWS I COULD NOT RESTART BOAT AT ANYTIME. I TRIED TO START MY BOAT 5 MINUTES BEFORE THEY DID WITH NO SUCESS .#2 I WAS HAVING CHARGING PROMBLEMS AND REPLACED THE ALTERNATOR AFTER THAT LAST TRIP. FRIEND OF MINE IS A AUTO TECH HE CAME OVER TO CHECK IF THE ALTENATOR I BOUGHT AND ITS DOING ITS JOB. HOOKED THE BOAT TO WATER RAN THE MOTOR ALL WAS GOOD WITH THE ALTERNATOR . WIGGLED COMPUTER HARNESS AND ALL WIRES TO SEE IF WE HAVE A BAD CONNECTION. WHEN COMPUTER IGNITION HARNESS WAS WIGGLED RPMS CAME UP A LITTLE NOTICABLE... HAPPENED TWICE HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO REPEAT IT.MAYBE THE SHOP IS ON TO SOMETHING? FIRST TRIP TO THE WATER AFTER ALTERNATOR INSTALL WAS WHEN THIS STARTED . FLYING SOLO I HAD TO JUMP UP ON THE FRONT DECK TO GET ON PAD AND RUN BACK TO DRIVE THE BOAT HAHA. BOAT HAS MORE POWER ON THIS TRIP COMPARED TO WHAT I DESCRIBED IN THE FIRST POST. LOCAL BOAT SHOP ALSO LOOKED AT GROUND WIRES HARNESSES ETC NEVER FOUND ANYTHING BY EYE AND HANDS. " BOAT RAN FINE UP UNTIL THE TRIP I HAD TO BE TOWED IN". BOAT WAS SERVICED EARLIER THIS YEAR AND EVERY YEAR HAS ALL UPDATED FUEL LINES . THE FUEL BULB PROBABLY HAS NOT BEEN CHANGED IN SOME YEARS..

Turn off the caps locks, you dont need to scream at us
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    Was the motor spinning while you were attempting to start it?

7. Member
    Yes it did but would not start until I got to local shop then she fired right up

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This sounds like you may potentially have two separate problems.

First thing I would do is get a timing light with me... when the engine fails to start, clip to each plug wire and watch for a steady flashing pattern (indicating spark is occurring).

Also listen for fuel pump running when key is turned on (at the same time... engine failing to start).

Good idea to check the cannon-plug connector: Clean male pins, slightly spread the male pins with an exacto knife, reconnect and latch or strap in place to prevent moving/vibration.

Report back with results....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Did you hear the fuel pumps running, when you turned the key on?

10. Member
    Yes

11. Member
    First trip I had start up issues . Second trip no start up issues . Very well may be more than one issue. I will for sure Don.

12. Member
    Check the cannon plug connector.

13. Member
    Is that the long cylinder plug that's on part #825433A11 ? if so where does that connection go ? thx..

14. Member
    Connector is under the cowling.
    Cannon plug connects the motor to the boat side wiring harness.

15. Member
    UPDATE ...Fuel pump is working .Cleaned cannon plug and spread male pins. Took boat to lake to test no changes. For shits and giggles I brought my old Alternator and put it on retest test boat got up on pad and had power once on pad . Speed limit on lake is 35 but took her to 50 or so. Boat struggled a bit to get on pad but got there with other alternator can not get up on pad in the drivers seat. Once on pad kept motor buried and still gained speed. The thing is I know if I run the boat hard or for a period of time of 10 15 minutes motor quit or will not start as before. Like I said before if I take it easy and make short runs I didn't have the issue. Hope this helps. thanks..

16. Member
    You need to go to lakes where you can let it eat periodically, instead of keeping the motor buried and carboning it up running 35MPH.

17. Member
    I get ya . Just went to test.
    I did run it up to 50 not buried . I would not be able to do either one with the new alternator. Put on my old one and at least I can run around and I have power . New alternator I can not run around and I do not have power. thx

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What prompted the alternator replacement? And is the replacement a NEW, OEM Mercury Alternator?

19. Member
    Low voltage . No it is not. What I bought was a DB electrical alternator and0171 100 percent after market unit to meet oem specs. 1 year warranty. I was trying to figure out if the alternator was the issue of the low voltage and why I couldn't get the motor to start after a run and when my boat just quit while running also couldn't get it started before I spent the money for mercury alternator. But never got a chance cause for whatever reason I cant get up on pad with this new alternator.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A lot of the “equivalents” weren’t intended or manufactured to turn 17k-18k RPM.