Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Joe4d
    I stopped reading when you said screaming match. If I screamed at my dad ida been through a wall.
    You have a discipline problem not a phone problem.
    Stop being a friend start being a parent. You dont argue or justify your decisions to children.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    In my house no TV no tablet no games no nothing during the school week. Friday and weekends no more than 3 hours at a time on TV and two hours of games and tablets however they want to distribute it out throughout the day. Might sound like I'm being a tough dad but it's my house it's my rules
    We are the same in our house. Absolutely no video gaming on school nights. Weekends they are free to play, but for some unforseen reason they are usually too busy with chores to play too much...lol

3. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    This is the very reason my 10 year old daughter will not have a phone until she is driving.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASS JINX View Post
    I just got my son a cell phone back in June. He is 11 yrs old. I got the phone mainly in case he needed to stay home alone for a bit and to call his friends. Long story short he doesn’t call anyone basically and is on it every minute he has playing fortnite or watching fortnite videos. I have taken it away from him multiple times and cautioned him about overuse. He still continues to play all the time. We got in a screaming match the other nite cause he had been playing for a while and I asked him to do a little studying and he starts arguing about why he has to study. Don’t get me wrong, he is a straight A student and basically never gets in trouble. The biggest thing is that i can’t help but see laziness when a kid plays this stuff all day. He had it taken away the last 2 days and I feel I’ve had more conversation and interaction with him those 2 days then I have the last 2 weeks! What do y’all do?

signed the frustrated dad!
    Not young anymore at 33, but part of the generation that grew up with gaming as it exploded, and now have a 6 year old that's obsessed with it as well. Best advice I can give is to stand firm on maintaining balance in his use. That's what my Dad did with me, that's what I'm doing with my son, and it has worked very well.

I used to play a LOT of games as a kid, and still do in fact. But my Dad made sure it was balanced. Homework done, not struggling in school, and still got outside to play a bit? He let me play however much video games I could fit in around the rest of that, so long as nothing slacked. The one time I started sucking at school, he stripped back everything fun, not just the gaming.

So far, I've done the same with my son. A lot of my gaming friends had a really hard time understanding my position on this when they all found out we were having our first child those 6 years ago, told them I wasn't going to let him play any video games for the first 4 years or so. I felt it was important to just let him be a kid and be creative with his imagination first, before letting him dive into any gaming. And how he's a little older, I let him play here and there, but I still make sure he's spending more time just playing outside, or with other stuff in general.

Balance my friend. That's what it's all about.

5. Derek McCullough
    Real easy answer, their your kids, make them do as you say. Regulate their time on the electronics, why do you need to ask a fishing forum that. Part of being the parent is being mean at times. My kids get an hour a day unless it's just shitty weather and there is nothing else to do, after an hour I tell them one time to turn it off. I am not negotiating with my kids.

WHAT IS FORTNITE!

Quote Originally Posted by hse87 View Post
    11 yr old doesn’t need a phone!
    Exactly. If they need it for an emergency reason get a phone that can only call a few numbers just in case. I was reading some statistic a little while ago that 95% of kids have played a video game before they were 3. My nephew is going on 4 and is glued to his ipad...screams if he doesn't get it. Whenever I have kids they aren't going to know what an ipad is.
    Last edited by fluke1987; 09-13-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    Exactly. If you need it for an emergency reason get a phone that only can call a few numbers just in case. I was reading some statistic a little while that 95% of kids have played a video game before they were 3. My nephew is going on 4 and is glued to his ipad...screams if he doesn't get it. Whenever I have kids they aren't going to know what ipad is.
    Ok

9. Member
    My 12 and 2 11 year old boys get 20 minutes a day during the week and an parent must be home, homework must be done first. I have taken phones away, change the security on the X-BOX so they cannot login to play, and lock out the computer as needed to keep them off. They will also get grounded for the next day or two if they go over their time.

On weekends we will usually give them an hour a day for screen time, they can earn more by going outside and playing for a few hours or doing some extra chores around the house. Vacuum the steps and get an extra 5 minutes, wash the windows for 10, etc... We have a chore chart they can either earn $$$ or video game time.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    I stopped reading when you said screaming match. If I screamed at my dad ida been through a wall.
    You have a discipline problem not a phone problem.
    Stop being a friend start being a parent. You dont argue or justify your decisions to children.
    ok you may have interpreted this a little wrong. I am strong with my decisions but yes we have had arguments about plenty of stuff not just gaming. It’s going to happen. I have popped him plenty of times when he gets disrespectful. Especially with just one child being a parent requires you to be a friend as Well

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grayline View Post
    WHAT IS FORTNITE!
    Haha it is an online game where you fight other people online. Not gory. It has funny dances and stuff in it that somehow seem to consume young kids. Have to admit they must have done something right

12. Member
    Exactly. If they need it for an emergency reason get a phone that can only call a few numbers just in case. I was reading some statistic a little while ago that 95% of kids have played a video game before they were 3. My nephew is going on 4 and is glued to his ipad...screams if he doesn't get it. Whenever I have kids they aren't going to know what an ipad is.
    does he have to have a phone? No! He wanted one, I felt it was close to that time of him needing one so it was part of my way for rewarding him cause he dies so well in school

13. Member
    My son go phone at 11 ( same reason, to be able to get ahold of him or him us when home ). Now 13, I do not allow games on his phone. And it is only after what you are going through now. Always playing games on it or phone was dead because of games. He has couple different game consoles in a spare room ( kids play room). The door on that room has a key lock. We lock it so that after school they do their school work and chores. Some evening and weekend they can have access to room. That has been working for us. My son plays travel baseball and daughter does competition cheer so they are active. But these game are addicting I guess.

I don't get it but I was never big on video games.
    Semper Fi

14. Member
    At least until they go to a friends house or head off to school. You might have a heart attack when the school supplies them one to do lessons on.

15. Member
    It is really quite simple. My wife and I both agree our kids don't need a cell phone until they can drive. All a cell phone will do is get your kids in trouble. Point in hand here. My brother gave his 10 year old daughter his old Iphone and she figured out how to get Cerri to say the F word and she did this around my kids 7 and 10. I told him about it and he said Cerrri won't do that. Sure enough when he checked the phone Cerri will say anything you ask it too. He thought he had deactivated anything that could get her in trouble. If you don't want you kids glued to the smart phone don't get them one, or get them a flip phone that will only call and text.

As crazy as this world has gotten there is no way I would not get my kids a phone as early as possible. Teach them how to use it with rules but I would not want my young kids with no means to contact me when needed. Between school shootings, craziness, abuse etc I want them to have a line to me at all times.

17. Member
    My son just turned 7 in July, up until last month we didn't have any gaming console in the house, no computer either. He does have a tv in his room but he's pretty good about wanting to be outside most of the time if its nice outside. I asked my mom to get my diploma for me because I needed it to get a certification at work and of course she had to go through all my old crap and send it home and it had an old gameboy in it that didn't work and when my wife took it down to have it looked at a shop in town she let him buy a used gameboy with his birthday money. He started off playing it constantly but the batteries died pretty quick and he lost interest after that. We have already had a few "discussions" about when he needs a cell phone and I have said he won't get one until he can drive but she seems to think he will need one before then to call us if he's playing sports or something after practice or after games and when I was in school on the way home from baseball or football games before I could drive the coach would let us use his phone to call our parents so that won't fly with me. I'm terrible about staring at my phone in the evenings but I recently downloaded an app that tracks the amount of time you spend on it and allows me to set a daily time limit and then you can set a screen free time for however long you want so from 6-9 if I unlock my phone it will constantly alarm telling me to get off my phone.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet20vee View Post
    PUBG is way better than Fortnite. Duke's is better than any other mayo.
    PUBG takes skills!!! No Chicken dinner for me in over a month!

My mom had a ground breaking technique ... she would say “no” or “ you have had enough of that “ and I would listen or never play with that item ever again

We have purposely got the 2 twins inexpensive straight talk phones just for this reason. We add 4GB to each one a month and if they use it up then they don't get any till the next month. When they are on the WIFI at house I have a app on my phone that lets me set a time when it cuts off the XBOX, Switch and their phones at 830 on school nights and 11 on non school nights. We also make them take a break during dinner times. We collect their phones and game controllers before we go to bed at night, so they are not tempted to play during the night.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast