Thread: Tire wear issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Tire wear issue

Hey guys, I noticed some vibration when trailering my ranger single axle trailer over 100km/h (60mph) so I inspected the tires and this is what I found.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You have a bent spindle or a loose bearing. I’m going for the spindle assuming normal wear on the tire on the other end of that axle.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Looks like you need to have the axle bent to align it.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You have a bent spindle or a loose bearing. I’m going for the spindle assuming normal wear on the tire on the other end of that axle.
    So I checked they bearing by jacking the trailer and moving the tire. It seems very solid? How do I check for bent spindle and can this be repaired ?

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    So I checked they bearing by jacking the trailer and moving the tire. It seems very solid? How do I check for bent spindle and can this be repaired ?
    Possibly, but usually easier to go with a new axle unless it’s a torsion axle.
    nothing else matters.​

6. Banned
    Possibly, but usually easier to go with a new axle unless it’s a torsion axle.
    Its a ranger trailer with torsion axle.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Its a ranger trailer with torsion axle.
    Check where the axle mounts to the trailer. If all is good, you can probably get a new trailing arm.
    nothing else matters.​

Very possibly the trailing arm.. something is way off.
    You might go buy a lotto ticket------I'd say your VERY lucky.

9. Member
    If the other side tire doesn't have similar wear it could be a belt separation on the tire and not the axle.

A good alignment shop or racing shop can check the hub for tow out or negative camber, both of which would cause that issue.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

IMO the belt separated because the inside of the tire was worn down to the bare threads.. Don't figure this just happened in one trip.. The inside of tire is WORN out ...

11. Banned
    So the other thing is the tire on the other side has lots of waves in it. My dad thinks they are a bad batch of tires and the belts are bad/broke... thoughts?

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    So the other thing is the tire on the other side has lots of waves in it. My dad thinks they are a bad batch of tires and the belts are bad/broke... thoughts?
    Waves in the sidewall or tread? Waves in the sidewall aren't generally an issue.

The belts on radial tires run from bead to bead. Then another layer runs around the tread surface. I think with a belt failure you'd a less uniform wear pattern around the tire.

It would help to have some pictures of that side of the trailer to gauge how the wheel is sitting.

You probably want to check camber and toe. Camber can be done with a level. I tape two nuts on my levelso the touch the edge of the rim rather than the tire at the top and bottom of the wheel. Since you probably can't find someplace perfectly flat to check, just look for differences between the bad wheel and others to point out a camber problem.

Checking toe is a little more involved. One way is here http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=1#post6154204
    Last edited by CatFan; 09-13-2018 at 08:54 AM.
    nothing else matters.​

. My dad thinks they are a bad batch of tires and the belts are bad/broke... thoughts?
    Bad tires did not cause the uneven tire wear in the picture. The trailer did and if not fixed it will just do the same thing to the next tire.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Bad tires did not cause the uneven tire wear in the picture. The trailer did and if not fixed it will just do the same thing to the next tire.
    I pulled both tires off and had a look. No damage anywhere. I fact the trailer still looks brand new. Bearings are solid? Spindle looks solid. With the tires on I looked down the side of the trailer and both tires are 100% true no toe in or out. I did just get new tires put on. The guy at shop said the one tire may have been off balance. There was tons of weights. So I really don’t know. I will keep a close eye on the wear and if I see it happening I will take it in.

15. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I pulled both tires off and had a look. No damage anywhere. I fact the trailer still looks brand new. Bearings are solid? Spindle looks solid. With the tires on I looked down the side of the trailer and both tires are 100% true no toe in or out. I did just get new tires put on. The guy at shop said the one tire may have been off balance. There was tons of weights. So I really don’t know. I will keep a close eye on the wear and if I see it happening I will take it in.
    Mine was toed out 1/8" and it chewed the outside off the tire in less than 500 miles. Your eyes can't detect the bend. I couldn't see it even with the wheel on the other axle right there to compare it to.
    nothing else matters.​

16. Banned
    Waves in the sidewall or tread? Waves in the sidewall aren't generally an issue.

The belts on radial tires run from bead to bead. Then another layer runs around the tread surface. I think with a belt failure you'd a less uniform wear pattern around the tire.

It would help to have some pictures of that side of the trailer to gauge how the wheel is sitting.

You probably want to check camber and toe. Camber can be done with a level. I tape two nuts on my levelso the touch the edge of the rim rather than the tire at the top and bottom of the wheel. Since you probably can't find someplace perfectly flat to check, just look for differences between the bad wheel and others to point out a camber problem.

Checking toe is a little more involved. One way is here http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=1#post6154204
    I will try this thank you. I also read an old post on how to check the torsion axle. I will remove the tire and place a jack under the spindle and see if that will tell me anything. Just not sure I’d that will work with the boat on the trailer ??

17. Member
    In my opinion that tire was run underinflated for its purpose. There is quite a bit of total tread wear but excessive on both outer portions. Add to that the propensity of torsion arms to fail to be perfectly aligned or to hold that alignment, again my opinion from my experiences you are lucky to have a fender on that side.
    How many plies is that tire? How old is it?
    My latest tires on my trailer are 8 ply radials.
    A single axle trailer is many times marginally designed to support the weight of a loaded bass boat so you have to be very careful with inflation, hitting curbs and even driving down bumpy roads or crossing potholes.

You say you noticed a vibration, I will relate a vibration issue I had about 15 years ago. I felt a vibration and looked back to see the trolling motor jumping about a foot off the deck. I had lost a steel belt inside the tire. It was really hot and I towed on the shoulder at 35 MPH for a couple of miles before I found a good spot to pull over and change that tire. People coming back from the beach that slowed to pass were really pissed at me.

18. Member
    How the heck does that not get noticed earlier? I inspect my tires every trip.

----------------

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    How the heck does that not get noticed earlier? I inspect my tires every trip.
    You obviously a much superior person then me....

thanks for the input

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast