Snagged Trailer Brake Cable.

Dangit, I snagged my trailer brake cable on the hitch. The cable was attached to my main safety cable. It got looped on the step plate of my hitch and when I pulled away, snap! The cable snapped at ferrule near the end of the cable where it connects to the truck.

The grommet pulled out, but the covered portion of the cable is still inside the tongue front.

However, I can roll the boat by hand.

I checked the fluid, it's fine.

Specifically, the breakaway tongue of this trailer has a metal shield welded on the underside of the tongue. I don't have open access to the internals without sliding the whole setup one way or another.

One consideration is just to put a new end on it, replace the grommet and keep moving.

The second consideration involves the question of how to I get the UFP actuator out? Is there enough slack in the hydraulic line for it to pull out of the front of the tongue enough to do any work? Or must it come out of the back of the tongue. Not matter, it seems like a real PIA.

Seeking advice. Thanks.
    2018 Triton TRX 20, Mercury 250 Pro XS Serial Number 2B526777

2. Member
    Bump

I did the same thing on my last rig.
    My brakes worked fine it just wont have the safety feature of setting the brakes in the event it comes loose from your truck.
    It will depend on how much (slack) the brake line has if you will be able to leave it hooked and slide out to work. I had to undo the brake line at the solenoid which did have a small access port.. But then you will have to bleed the brakes . Your right it can be a PIA.

4. Member
    Yep darn it, that's what I was thinking. Maybe at some service interval I'll let a dealer mess with it.

I actually pulled it that way until I replaced the whole insert,

6. Member

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I actually pulled it that way until I replaced the whole insert,
    In all my years I've never had a trailer come loose.. except that one time...

With properly attached safety chains.. the odds of a bass boat ever comming OFF is pretty slim. Like me winning the Texas Lotto.

8. Member
    It's steel cable. Order some crimps for steel multistrand leader material from Amazon and fix it. If you need to extend it just order some leader material too. There is zero reason not to have a functioning trailer brake breakaway cable.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    It's steel cable. Order some crimps for steel multistrand leader material from Amazon and fix it. If you need to extend it just order some leader material too. There is zero reason not to have a functioning trailer brake breakaway cable.
    This is the proper plan, I'll also need another C Clip.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
    lol, no but seriously... one time I put my hitch in but somehow missed the hole in the shank... Amazingly it stayed together for a while, but eventually the hitch came right out, still attached to the boat.

This was with a different boat by the by. Now days, I give the hitch a pretty good tug when reinstalling it.

11. Member
    Home Depot has the crimps and ferrules. Make my own cables all the time. You can heat shrink it after for a snag free connection.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Straps, safety chains ( even the winch post) won't stop a boat from coming off the trailer after it leaves the truck. If it hits something.
    My old partners boat

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post

Straps, safety chains ( even the winch post) won't stop a boat from coming off the trailer after it leaves the truck. If it hits something.
    My old partners boat
    i ALWAYS felt the brake cable was a joke.. at 65 mph.. what does one think is going to happen... The trailer just stops right behind the truck..? Doubt it.

i ALWAYS felt the brake cable was a joke.. at 65 mph.. what does one think is going to happen... The trailer just stops right behind the truck..? Doubt it.
    No brakes on this trailer, so no emergence cable. What is funny is the guys on here that believe straps, chains, on the boat or trailer will hold a boat to Trailer. This was a small bass boat, it ran over that winch post and bent it flatto the trailer. We were doing 45 mph when it came off the back of his truck ( Brand new 2005 SCrew). Snapped the safety chains ( like they weren't even there) he hit the brakes ( wrong thing to do) trolling motor hits the truck under thetaillights light on passenger side, and I watch it go past the truck on my side. It was only going about 24-30 mph when it went across a driveway and dropped 3 feet into a really nice shallow freshly mowed grass ditch. Boat slid about 100 ft. After snapping the bow strap, safety chain, and the transom straps.

IF the trailer would have had brakes and a breakaway cable, it would have stopped before any damage was done.