Power Pole Pump Mounting

I have my power pole pumps mounted in the back hatch of my Champion, not exactly dry back there most of the time with rain getting into the hatch and backwash coming over the rear of the boat. I have one mounted port side behind the trolling batteries and one on starboard behind the battery charger, both in the rear hatch. Was told yesterday that pumps should be mounted somewhere where they won't get wet. So am I supposed to feed the hydraulic lines through the sides of the boat and mount the pumps in the rod lockers or maybe mount both pumps in the rear/side hatch that is left empty for my co-angler?
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

2. BBC SPONSOR
    The pumps can be mounted in the bilge. a little rain or backwash should not hurt them. They are water resistant but not water proof. Clearly you do not want them getting drenched so use common sense.

Think about a electronics graph.. They will last being exposed to rain and rough water conditions however your not going to save it if it goes overboard..

3. Member
    OK, I was just thinking about my conversation yesterday and I might have referred to the area as the bilge, when it is actually the rear hatch where the batteries are. The oil tank in my boat sits on top of a plate which covers the bilge. The tech might have gotten the impression that I had the pumps mounted in the actual bilge where they were getting underwater.

I really didn't want to have to move the pumps although all of that extra hydraulic hose is annoying

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrub View Post
    OK, I was just thinking about my conversation yesterday and I might have referred to the area as the bilge, when it is actually the rear hatch where the batteries are. The oil tank in my boat sits on top of a plate which covers the bilge. The tech might have gotten the impression that I had the pumps mounted in the actual bilge where they were getting underwater.

I really didn't want to have to move the pumps although all of that extra hydraulic hose is annoying
    Understood.

Generally the only time we mount pumps in a forward storage box or console is due to space or battery location. Typical installs we locate the pump in the same compartment ass the batteries or oil tank etc

Sounds like your good to go

5. Member
    What do you normally do with all of the extra hydraulic hose? I just coiled it up in the back of the boat behind the pumps and zip tied it to the battery charger cables

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    What do you normally do with all of the extra hydraulic hose? I just coiled it up in the back of the boat behind the pumps and zip tied it to the battery charger cables
    yes that is what we do coil them up and zip tie them. place neatly in the bilge.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    That is pretty much all you can do with it now that the new hoses are unable to be cut to length. Just make sure you don't kink the lines when pulling tight on the zip ties.

I had a boat come in the other day with a customer complaining of a slow Power pole. The dealer who installed it (one of your typical we can install this in one hr) had simply balled up the lines and zip tied them in a bundle which pinched the lines. No good!

8. Member
    I've got them coiled up in a circle like a water hose and loosely zip tied. I thought about trying to slip them down in the actual bilge area under the plate to get them out of the way but decided against it because of the rough fiberglass edges down there and also the cable going to the livewell switch so I just have them behind the pumps with all of the fuel lines, wiring harnesses, charger cables and everything else that goes across the boat or to the outboard.

Darn, even I knew to not just ball the lines up like a extension cord, besides it's my boat and I like things as neat as I can get it, there's a lot going on in the back hatch. It's hard enough getting to the bilge in my boat