Tray Modification for Ultrex

I recently had my MK Ultrex in John Jones shop for a repair and upgrades. While it was off the boat, I tackled a modification on my old '06 Nitro 591 that I've been wanting to do for a long time. As many older Nitro owners who had added the Ultrex to their boat had found, the pedal doesn't fit the factory TM motor tray. Last year, when I installed the motor I just built up the tray to be level with the deck. This was intended to be a temporary fix but ended up lasting over a year. While the motor was in the shop, I opened up the tray to fit the Ultrex pedal. I had seen other members on this forum cutting the corners of the tray and then just folding the carpet back over the hole. I went a little further and used fiberglass tape leftover from installing Hardy backer in my shower and Marine Tex. Here are some pictures in case you are interested.

I used my wife's hairdryer to loosen the adhesive to pull the carpet back. Let me say up front; I intend to replace the carpet so the sloppy work on the carpet is because I know it's going away soon.

I used my Dremel with a thin cut blade to make the cuts. Had to get out the reciprocating saw to finish it out. A little bit of hand sanding and I'm ready for the fiberglass tape and Marine Tex.

I had never worked with Marine Tex before so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was afraid that the weight of the Marine Tex would push the fiberglass tape through the hold so I taped it down with gaffers tape. I intended to remove the gaffers tape but the Marine Tex sealed it in so well that I just left it. The Marine Tex is amazing stuff to work with. It goes on like a thick cream and sticks to the vertical surface very well. It did shrink down a little and required a second coat on the left side. I just applied it a little thicker on the right side and it was just fine. I didn't have to do much sanding except just around the edges where I got sloppy. I knew carpet would be covering this so the way it laid up was just fine.

You can see where I bugered up the carpet. I believe if I had taken the time to use a sharp blade and cut it instead of ripping it, it would have turned out much nicer. I had to make a slight mod in my bow panel to allow me to stow my TM plug with the big MK choke for interference to my Helix, behind the panel. I'm very pleased with the results. I believe that I'll be much more comfortable now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

2. Member
    Very nice!

Nice job
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax