Anyone from East TX (Tyler area)?

My wife and I (kids are grown) live in Springfield MO. and are looking to move to Texas. I work for a company in Pflugerville but I travel all over, Kansas City right now for the next year or so. I have been all over Texas, Midland for a year and Waco for quite a while along with Ft. Hood and Tyler for several months, just finished up in Belton and left in July. Out of everywhere I think I like East the best and we are thinking of the Tyler area, probably out in the country 20 or 30 miles, it seems much more affordable than central TX and central to a lot of good lakes and that is of massive importance to me, also I like the trees and the fact that it actually rains there from time to time. As I said, I spent several months in Tyler back in 13' and I liked it but would like to get some input from those that live in the area. We are tired of winter and living in Texas would get me home a lot more often, thanks for any input.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

I live 25 miles out of Tyler in Lindale. Tyler is nice but the traffic is horrible. The streets in Tyler are a mess with median around the loop. I avoid it at all cost during rush hour, I like the country..
    Great lakes in the heart of East Texas. 35 minutes to fork, 30 minutes to Palestine, 40 minutes to Lake Tyler, 45 minutes to Lake Athens, 15 minutes to Holbrook, 2 hours to Rayburn and TB.
    Get out around Van, Lindale area just away from Tyler.
    Taxes are reasonable, good small town USA
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

3. Member
    Lindale is where I stayed when I worked out there, we built the Fed Ex there on 20. Is Palestine good fishing?
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyG.Mo View Post
    Is Palestine good fishing?
    yes but the upper end has more stumps than any lake I have seen and that's is where the best fishing is for the most part. You must idle in the upper end and you still might hit a stump every 5 seconds. The locals run it but man that is crazy....

5. Member
    Interesting info. We live between Springfield & Rogersville and are looking to retire (2 yrs) in East TX. Looking forward to hearing more info
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

6. Member
    That's where we live, down 125 south of 60 kinda near county line road.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

7. Member
    Just moved to Longview Tx. Love the area and the lake choices are amazing! 2hours or less in every direction puts me on some amazing lakes! My problem is that I don’t where to go tomorrow morning.
    \" If you ain\'t first, you\'re last!\"

8. Member
    Longview/Hallsville area is great and less traffic problems than Tyler. Only a hour to Tyler or 45mins to Shreveport, La. Lots of good lakes to choose from.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyG.Mo View Post
    That's where we live, down 125 south of 60 kinda near county line road.
    We are on S Farm Rd 219, down from S&H New Holland, just did a complete rehab on a house
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

10. Member
    We live less than 90 minutes Southeast of Tyler in Lufkin.

Tyler is unique in it's "Big Town feel" but in a "Small Town" package.

If I had to move towards Austin I would live in Pflugerville - Round Rock - Leander areas but I would not live in Austin.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

11. Member
    Not really too keen on living in Austin, our office is in Pflugerville and I have spent quite a bit of time in the Austin area. We have looked at a lot of property in central area and I like it there but it’s expensive and dry, that’s kinda why we are looking east, we like the country better there. I spent all last spring and summer in Lampasas and like that area as well.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

12. Member
    I lived my first 30 years in Tyler and the last 19 in Houston area. I love Tyler and still have family and friends there. Most of them are in the Bullard area which is just south of Tyler. My uncle has a sweet 10 acre place with pecan trees and quiet streets. Bullard has a grocery store, banks, and a great school system and you're less than ten minutes away from south Tyler for anything else you need.
    2014 920/SHO

13. Fishwhisperer Thefisherman64's Avatar
    We lived in Mineola for the past 3 yrs. We lived here back in '07 as well, and came back after living other places less desirable. I think the small town (4 miles out of town for us) feel was important to us. The weather (it rains here) is much different from central and west Texas. The lakes are numerous. The kids (teens) here still show respect to everyone. but the biggest for us was prices for homes. 3 acres, 3 br 2 bth, with no neighbors for 135K. Unheard of in most of the country.

Good luck in your search. Look us up when you get settled.
    Jeff, and Rheba Johnson
    AND COOPER
    2009 BEE LINE 294 by Phoenix
    2009 150 MERC OPTIMAX