Santee Cooper in March

Hello all! I hope that any of you effected by the coming storm stay safe and sound! My brother and I have a trip planned to Blacks Fishing Camp the first week of March.
    We are expecting it to be prespawn, but know that anything is possible. We are getting a guide for the first day of our trip....but I have a couple of questions.
    What are the bass typically eating that time of year....what color of spinnerbait/crankbait do you find works the best? Any idea how long it takes to run from Blacks Camp to Eutaw Creek area? Any other tips and info would be appreciated as well! Thanks!

2. Member
    That time of year anything. If you looking for a guide, take a look at Inky Davis (aka Santee Bass), he posts on here. Shoot him a PM.
    Last edited by usmc03; 09-12-2018 at 05:16 PM.

I used to go to Santee at that time for many years. But, since I retired, we moved the trip to late March. In early March, you could find fish in late prespawn to late winter patterns, depending on the weather. You could be dressed in either jeans and a light shirt or long underwear and heavy Gortex. It's a crap shoot, depending on the weather. As far as baits...gold Rat-L-Traps can be very good. Green Pumpkin is the standard color to use first. Jerkbaits can work, too.

I would advise against running from Black's to Eutaw Creek. Running through the Bass Islands area can be VERY tricky if you don't know how to run it. Santee has more stumps in it than we have in Ohio and you have in Indiana!!! Instead, if you want to fish Eutaw Creek, trailer up there and launch at Bell's Marina. But, in my experience, Eutaw Creek isn't very good until late March/early April. If I were you, I would concentrate on the lower lake, particularly Angel's Cove.

Another vote for Inky Davis if you're going to get a guide. He knows all of the bass there by name! His BBC name is santee bass and he hangs out on this page a lot.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Thanks for the info!

5. Member
    March is a windy month. I would traile my boat to eutawcreek.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g-string View Post
    March is a windy month. I would traile my boat to eutawcreek.
    Thank you!