Kill Switch Location?

I recently purchased a super clean 2004 TR21X. It's my first real bass boat, and there is quite the learning curve. The kill switch lanyard is lying in the side panel, but I can't figure out where to connect it. I am planning on fishing my first bass tournament in a few weeks, and I've just discovered the safety rules. Please help.

2. Member
    I have a 2003 TR20 so they’re probably the same area as yours...mine is a toggle switch just below your shifter to put the boat in gear. It has a little “roof”over the toggle switch. Hope this helps.

3. Member
    P

Have to figure out if the switch is up or down .. have it down , slid the ring on top of it to flick it up ,, the try it see if it works ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Murph44; 09-12-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post
    P

Have to figure out if the switch is up or down .. have it down , slid the ring on top of it to flick it up ,, the try it see if it works ..
    Do you have 2 attachment points for your safety lanyard? The one in your pic down low towards the front is where they generally are but I have never seen one in the actual throttle handle. Since this is your first bass boat be aware that if that kill switch is not returned to the up position 100% the engine will crank over fine but will not start
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

5. Member
    I appreciate y'all taking the time to reply to what is probably seems like a pretty dumb question.

I have a red toggle switch similar to the pic posted by Thommo59. Up is "Run" and down is "Off". I just don't see how a lanyard would push the switch down to the off position if I were ejected from the boat. I tried to post a pic, but it tells me the file is too big to post.

To compound my confusion, I just realized the lanyard I saw in the boat is broken on both ends, so no clues there on how to connect it.

That brings up another question - how do I get a new lanyard? Will that need to come from Triton? Or are there several standard types that I could get from BassPro or somewhere similar?

6. Member
    I resized the pic and got it to post. I hope it helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    New lanyards available at walmart.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    New lanyards available at walmart.

Yes .. there’s a universal lanyard that comes with a bunch ..

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...0boat&cat_id=0

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

9. Member
    Flip the switch down to off, the put the closed loop attachment over the toggle switch and then flip the switch back up to run with the clip,still over the toggle. It will hold the clip in place. You’ll eventually forget it is clipped to you at some point and you’ll hop up and your motor will quit. Then you’ll know it works!

10. Member
    Thank you, noahtn. I finally get it. So simple. Problem solved.

11. Member
    Maybe you should find some one who knows how to drive a high performance boat before you take it out on your own in a tournament.