Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    No you didn't miss anything nobody will answer that question they just keep giving unrealistic theoretical scenarios that there is all of this money out there that should be paid to the Pro's they idolize so they can make a living fishing and how good things are going to be if they can tell someone else how to spend their money.

They want all the sponsor money put in one fund then equally distributed to all the Pro's and where have we heard that one before.

They also remind you of of those college students pursuing useless degrees running up huge debts that were all over the news saying the 1% of the wealthiest people in the US ought to be taxed at higher rates so they could go to college free.

Always thought Bass Fishermen were a conservative independent group from reading these pages over the years but it now appears that many are in favor of entitlements for Professional Bass Fisherman.

Not to mention creating a deficit for the others putting up the money for all the Pro's to play for free if their grandiose predictions for Professional Fishing to climb to the same viewership level as Professional Golf and Tennis fail becuase sports fans don't become enamored watching someone "Skip a Jig" under a dock with some Dude squalling like he's got his nutz caught in a bear trap.
    50% of kids enrolling in college have no business being there.

2. Member
    I guess I don't understand the whole "the anglers want the funds equally distributed" angle. They want to get paid for doing a job. They still want payouts to be based on how finish so if you win you get more but if you come in last you still get paid. I know I wouldn't want to do my job just hoping I get paid because I do it better than everyone else because I'm not always perfect at work. I understand it's different because it's a little different because they get to fish but if they want to make it a real profession I'm not going to run them down because of it. How many guys would pay to play professional baseball and IF they make the playoffs they'll get paid enough to break even and if they win the world series they would get enough to make a decent living? I know there's a lot more money in baseball but I don't think the anglers are asking for multi million dollar contracts.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Have to wonder. How do these guys pull this off and make MLF such a success in a short span of time and BASS just maintains. Regardless, I think it will be good for the sport.
    Why? Catch "8 Men Out", the movie about the Black Sox scandal. B.A.S.S. was all about trained monkeys who kept their mouth shut. This time the performers are in charge of their own destinies.

4. Member
    i have a lot of respect for Gary and zero respect for boyd.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    zero respect for boyd.
    I don't know him personally, but he seems to have a reputation on the water. However, I respect his business acumen. He created his wealth by taking risk and investing in himself. That takes balls and talent.

Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    He went from a spot stealer to a talent stealer. Without BASS, none of these anglers would be anyone.
    Bingo, best post on here in days.

Without BASS none of us would know these names, KVD, Ike, Denny, Roland, Bill, Gary, David, Skeet etc. BASS made these guys famous, not the other way around. Bassmaster magazine put the old guys in the spotlight every month 4 decades ago. Every serious bass fishermen back in the day couldn't wait for their monthly issue to see the latest gear, tournament updates and drool over the shiny boats in the advertisements. Saturday mornings TNN and Bob Cobb covered the Bassmaster tournaments and put these guys out there for everyone to get to know. BASS Times, Bassmaster University, BASS Live have all made these guys household names in the households that have bass fishermen. How many legends have been created from winning the Bassmaster Classic? Who put Ranger Boats on the map by making them the official Bassmaster Classic boat for decades? Who implemented the "don't kill your catch" campaign? Ray Scott and Bassmaster. BASS made these guys and promoted the sport of tournament fishing. It has been instrumental in many of the advancements in our gear as well. Without BASS none of these guys would be known by any of us and would more than likely be doing a crappy 9-5 like normal fishermen. Delete series? Really? BASS will be fine, they'll just have new guys fishing and making a name for themselves now.

Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    I'm not sure they did it for the money when they started.
    Retirement plans for fisherman suck. I think they made their own retirement plan.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantera61 View Post
    50% of kids enrolling in college have no business being there.

This is from a study you've done?

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Bingo, best post on here in days.

Without BASS none of us would know these names, KVD, Ike, Denny, Roland, Bill, Gary, David, Skeet etc. BASS made these guys famous, not the other way around. Bassmaster magazine put the old guys in the spotlight every month 4 decades ago. Every serious bass fishermen back in the day couldn't wait for their monthly issue to see the latest gear, tournament updates and drool over the shiny boats in the advertisements. Saturday mornings TNN and Bob Cobb covered the Bassmaster tournaments and put these guys out there for everyone to get to know. BASS Times, Bassmaster University, BASS Live have all made these guys household names in the households that have bass fishermen. How many legends have been created from winning the Bassmaster Classic? Who put Ranger Boats on the map by making them the official Bassmaster Classic boat for decades? Who implemented the "don't kill your catch" campaign? Ray Scott and Bassmaster. BASS made these guys and promoted the sport of tournament fishing. It has been instrumental in many of the advancements in our gear as well. Without BASS none of these guys would be known by any of us and would more than likely be doing a crappy 9-5 like normal fishermen. Delete series? Really? BASS will be fine, they'll just have new guys fishing and making a name for themselves now.
    I agree with most of what you said. However in the case of Boyd, he was doing well before he ever fished an Elite series event and he would likely continue to be doing well if he never had. But you're right, BASS is the main or only reason we know who he is.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    i have a lot of respect for Gary and zero respect for boyd.
    What did he do to you?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    This is from a study you've done?
    I agree with this speculation. Colleges / Universities do not have a 50% failure rate and I encourage anyone to show me statistics that say otherwise. Sure some slip through the cracks but most of the more credible institutions have stringent enough enrollment requirements that they likely weed out many of the people who "have no business being there".

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric11 View Post
    I agree with this speculation. Colleges / Universities do not have a 50% failure rate and I encourage anyone to show me statistics that say otherwise. Sure some slip through the cracks but most of the more credible institutions have stringent enough enrollment requirements that they likely weed out many of the people who "have no business being there".
    52.9%... They're in the business of making money too... Dan

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/fres...-finds-n465606

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post

Thats about inline with a report I did on college graduation rates while I was in college. College is hard, and most people dont realize it until they are halfway in or better.
    But at the same time small businesses fail at about the same rate. Thats why its all part of the american dream if everybody succeeded it would be called the american life.

14. Banned
    Too many different threads to read...

I guess this mlf format is what DB was saying when he typed, “I’m with the fans”. Makes more sense now, one will be made for TV with prob some bullshit drama added like all reality tv has.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Too many different threads to read...

I guess this mlf format is what DB was saying when he typed, “I’m with the fans”. Makes more sense now, one will be made for TV with prob some bullshit drama added like all reality tv has.

Yesterday he was calling it the USFL so I wonder if the fans went a different direction than he expected lol

Turns out the two smartest dudes in fishing...good on em

17. Member
    Boyd had millions before he started fishing full time. He just keeps adding to it with his great business side of things. Idk much bout Gary’s back ground but everyone makes money on the MLF

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post

Thanks for the clarification Dan! Wow that honestly surprises me lol.

EDIT:

Found this for the Ontario graduation rate:

http://www.heqco.ca/en-ca/Research/q...es/qs_5_1.aspx

Average of 58 - 65 % so not much different. I honestly figured it was closer to a 70-75% success rate. Apparently I give people way too much credit!
    Last edited by Aric11; 09-12-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    People might say Boyd is s spot thief or what ever .. but they can’t claim he does not know how to make buckets of money .. good for him !!
    Boyd Duckett is probably the smartest person in all of bass fishing. Maybe not in the aspect of catching bass but instead, knowing how to make tons of money without catching any bass.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

Boyd won a Classic

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast