Mercury high speed scoops... help

0G940463

mercury part 17280A2

So i drilled the 5th hole to 5/16 per instructions, just it enters past the pick up hole, there’s a lot of meat back there, especially the casting around the driveshaft area. This made me a bit nervous, the issue is the well nut holds to nothing when tightened, it just pops back out. No I didn’t overdrill the hole either. The front and rear of the inlet hole is support casting. Is this normal?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Are you sure your instructions said to drill this to 5/16"? I'd have to go pull one from stock, but I seem to recall a different size listing (and have never had a problem with the blind nut biting).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Are you sure your instructions said to drill this to 5/16"? I'd have to go pull one from stock, but I seem to recall a different size listing (and have never had a problem with the blind nut biting).
    yes 100% said 5/16.

Ive installed then without the well but. In my lower unit it literally serves not purpose on there as it dosent have the room to swell. I’ve dabbled a little blue loctite on the screws. We’ll see.

4. Member
    I have never in stalled a set so I cant help you , but can I ask why you needed them
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Just epoxy the blind nut in place or tap the hole

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Another option would be to tap for a brass plug and then drill/tap the plug to match the screw.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor